1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with installing a sub!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MonoTopia5, Mar 13, 2016.

1. MonoTopia5

MonoTopia5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys,

So I just bought a sub and amp. My amp has a 'high level input'. My Prius is an 05 with Navigation and upgraded jbl. Is there anyway that I could simply tap into my rear subs and connect that to my high level input? Or would I still need a high to low converter??

Thanks!!

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    when you say "high level input" you mean there are screw terminals and not jacks for the input? if so, then yes, you can just splice into the wires to the rear woofers. however, if there are jacks for the inputs, the best thing to do is to splice into the signal wires to the amp under the rf seat. that way, your sub won't be affected by the lousy eq curve built into the jbl system.

3. MonoTopia5

MonoTopia5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey! Thanks for getting back to me! On the amp, there are RCA inputs and then there's a harness that I can also plug into a separate plug on the amp that has 4 wires and says "High Level Input". The sub and amp is a JBL GT - BassPro12 if that helps. Thanks!

4. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    yes, the high level inputs are speaker inputs you can just splice into the speaker wires. that's probably the easiest way to do it. using the line level RCA jacks should sound better if you can figure out where to splice into the harness before the jbl amp, but that's kind of an advanced project, and if you screw that up you may toast something expensive.

5. MonoTopia5

MonoTopia5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok. Thanks! Since I have the JBL system, I could just splice into the rear woofers?? If I understand correctly, the factory JBL amp for the whole car system splits the different frequencies?? If that is true, then the rear woofers are only receiving low frequency signals. Is this correct?

I know that I could also get a LOC, but I really don't have the money yet to get a good one. From what I've heard, a lot of the cheaper ones can actually make your system sound worst, so that's why I think that the 'High Level Input' would be a better choice for now until I can afford a nicer LOC.

6. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    for the rear speakers, the woofers and tweeters are in parallel, which means if you splice into the rear speaker wires you are going to need to filter out the high frequencies. if your amp has a low pass switch, then no problem.

7. MonoTopia5

MonoTopia5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thank you!! And what frequency would I need to set the filter to?

8. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    that's a personal preference thing. set it where you think it sounds good.

9. MonoTopia5

MonoTopia5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Alright! Thanks so much! :D