1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with po420 Cat converter failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Cosmo413, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Cosmo413

Cosmo413 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    All,

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

I've got a 2006 Gen2 with 197K miles. I just had the check engine light light go on, and on inspection it failed the po420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1 error.

The dealer wants $2450.00 plus tax to fix this, with 2050 for parts, and 400 for labor. I just sunk $2600 into replacing the hybrid battery on this vehicle about a year ago. I can't imaging spending another $2600+ into this 10+ year old vehicle, and i'm about 3 years away from being able to afford a new or newish used vehicle (child care costs are brutal). In lieu of the dealer raking me over the coals, I can see a few options:

1) Do nothing. At this point I cannot detect and reduction in performance or efficiency. Take it in to get the emisions test (which I need to do by July), cross my fingers, and if it passes, great.

2) Try to find an OEM offical Toyota catalytic converter. This seems to be harder then I would think. I've yet to find one specifically for the 2006 Prius on a few of the parts websites I've looked at.

3) Find a direct fit aftermarket converter, which seem to cost about $400. I don't live in NY or CA, so that works out for me. With once again, an assumption of $400 labor, this takes me to les then $1000 after tax, shop fees, etc.

I really need some help on this. I'm caught in a big catch-22 here, rock and a hard place, etc. Anyone with direct experience dealing with this, well your advice would be most appreciated.

Respectfully,
    Cosmo

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I drove a 2005 prius for 9 months with that code and had no problems. It maintained around 48-51 mpg. I only drove it like that for 9 months because at that point it was totaled in an accident. Take a look on ebay, there are places selling complete prius exhaust systems that should just be a bolt-in for around 350, if I remember correctly.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can weld on a new aftermarket Catalytic converter, the parts would only be $82 on Amazon.
    MagnaFlow 99205HM

I would not buy a used one on ebay, as that one may have the same problem you are currently having.

pashko90 likes this.
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1) If the check engine light (CEL) is on then most likely the car will fail the 'visual' emissions test.

2) Use cats are around and available, shouldn't be very difficult to find- but you would be buying USED.

3) Aftermarket shouldn't cost over $250 (could even be under $200) depending on which cat you go with (direct fit or otherwise, example: Walker 16337 Ultra EPA Certified Catalytic Converter $232.98). Labor could be under $100 if you shop around.

or

4) Try the acid bath trick and see if that helps at all.

5) Clear the code right before your emissions test and hope it passes before the code returns with a CEL. (cheapest option, depending on the cost of the test)