1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with selling 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by rocketman1321, Jan 17, 2012.

1. rocketman1321

rocketman1321 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok so here is the deal, I am needing to sell my Prius:(...I have no idea what to sell it for as I am getting conflicting information from dealers around my area. So I will describe the Prius and if you could help me figure out how to sell and what to sell it for that would be so helpful!
    It is a 2010 Prius IV. It has just about everything on it. Nav, JBL Audio, Solar roof w/sun roof, backup cam, heated leather seats, remote start, smart key, blue tooth, etc. The car has 55,000 miles on it. When getting values on like Kelly Blue Book, it says that private party value is $23,000. I am not sure if that is a fair price or not so I was hoping that some of you have seen what they are going for and can tell me if you think that is a good price. I feel like the car is worth it as I am sure you know the engine in these things is really dependable. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check out local listings to see what they are selling for in you area - check craigslist, ebay, the paper etc. Remember that a dealer is going to resell the car so your best bet is a private sale.

4. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    But the car you linked doesn't have a moonroof. It doesn't have the navigation system, nor leather interior. This may well be a package II Prius, which you could (back when I bought mine) for $22,000. The package IV with a moonroof sold for about $30,000.

Apples and Oranges.

Rocketman - are you selling it private party or trading it in to a dealer? Do you absolutely NEED to sell it?

5. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I posted the car to give you a benchmark. It has much less miles on it and is selling at the dealer for about 80% of the original price. Your car has more options but will soon be out of warranty on the power-train and is out of the basic warranty. I would anticipate 70% to 75% of your original price. Seems like your $23k might be a bit high but in the ball park.

6. rocketman1321

rocketman1321 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Alright so to answer some questions...yes, I am DEFF going to sell this Prius myself. The salesman was so disappointed and told me they were only going to give me the value of whatever was at the auction which he says is the base model ones. And yes, I can find a few in my area for that $20k price too but they are base models. My Prius was about 33k brand new so about 10k price difference in car. I guess my problem is that I dont know what is a fair price for the car. The book value is DEFF there but will it sell? When I bought this Prius there were probably twice as many prii on the market. Now it seems pretty picked over. And about the warranty, I added extended warranty for 8 yr/100,000 miles. So I guess I am just trying to get a feel for what you would try to sell it for. By the way, I know that I am new on the boards because I usually just look at topics and read what is already there so sorry for seeming like I am a guy just logging in to get out what I have not yet put in. Thanks again for all of the help, u have helped bring up questions I have not yet thought about which is what I was hoping for...THANKS! And yes, I cannot afford to keep the car anymore so it has to go as the wife says we are not going to keep a Prius, she has to keep her SUV

7. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    GLWS.....fully loaded car but mileage is a bit high for the year which will be the biggest harbinger

8. GreenMaterialism

GreenMaterialism Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just take some photos and sell it on here! The folks around priuschat tend to be both fair and knowledgeable...

Just be sure to list the colors (interior and exterior), history (any accidents?), maintenance records (how/when oil changed?), and list the VIN so people can CarFax it. Then sit back, answer any questions, and get ready for a smooth sale!

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The value of your Prius will inch up as gasoline prices rise. If you aren't desperate don't be in a hurry to sell. Stating that it is a IV Solar with remote start will help the Prius savvy more than listing all the options & standard features (but list them for other buyers).

Why is the SUV needed? Does it haul/tow more stuff than the Prius? Does it carry more people? If money is tight I would want to reduce operating & maintenance costs.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As I've posted many times, KBB tends to be on the high side and Edmunds tends to be on the low side. I'd also try Nada.

Dig around thru ads on Craigslist and Autotrader.com as reference, keeping in mind that dealers will always be selling for more than private parties.

You can also try bringing it to a few Toyota dealers to see what they'll give you for it and see if the value they give is worth it vs. going thru the trouble of selling it yourself.

I sold my former 350Z to a Nissan dealer that gave me a surprisingly high amount vs. what I was trying to advertise for on CL (and getting little response) and what a used car dealer and another Nissan dealer were offering. A friend of mine was offered only ~$700 for her old Honda Accord by a Toyota dealer as a trade when buying her '11 Prius. I suggested she take it to the Honda dealer next door and they offered $1500, which she was happy with. She didn't want to sell it herself (troublesome, safety, time consuming, etc.)

Agree w/all of the above.

11. rocketman1321

rocketman1321 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Agreed with all statements above. I went to the wash yesterday evening and now it's snowing so I will no be taking pictures till snow stops lol. There are some good points tho so I think I will be listing it tonight for probably $22,000. Thanks again for all of the insights and questions brought up.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The 'loaded' part of a 'loaded car' takes a much bigger hit on resale than the base. That is just the way it is. "Fair" price is a useless term in this context. Seller tries to get the most they can, buyer tries to spend the least possible. Supply and demand negotiates the end price. As for the dealer only offering to buy the car at wholesale pricing as if the car had no options -- that is BS, because the auction pricing DOES increase with options. Just not anywhere close to what the options cost the new car buyer.

That said, $22k sounds to me like a very competitive offer.

13. rocketman1321

rocketman1321 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ya I agree, but the dealer did not offer 22k if that's what I sounded like I was saying, that's what I think is a fair price to sell for. I too believe the auction goes for more with options but it was a VW dealer and I don't think they knew what they were talking about. They had no idea what a Prius IV was.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You were clear rocketman1321, I meant that your offer to sale at $22k sounds to me like it will get interest. Good Luck!

15. minghi

minghi Junior Member

I just priced your car on kbb trade in at 18-19k and gather that no dealer will give you 19k or more unless your car is in demand. hell, you can get 20 or 21k if gas prices went up to $4/gal but as of today an offer between 18 & 19k is what you will get from a dealer. then again, if you are buying a car that sells AT or 2-3% less than MSRP, say a Volvo S60, you might get 19-20k from the dealer since they are already making some profit on selling you the new car. on the other hand, if you are buying a heavily discounted car like a nissan maxima, there's simply no incentive for the dealer to buy your car at the higher end of tradein values.

I was in a similar situation in 2009 when I traded in my 2007 prius II with 60k on the odo for a paltry $11,000. my loss was 9k which made it the most expensive loss I made in my never ending car changing lifestyle. I learnt a big lesson back then and since then always sold my car privately. put it on ebay & craigslist at a starting price you have in mind (higher end of the trade in will be an easy sale)

funny thing was 2 weeks after i traded in the prius, reports of toyota brake failure started popping all over the internet and i never knew what happened to the old faithful prius. yeah, 60k miles and i did nothing except oil change & tire rotation. life was good back then lol....

16. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That seems very reasonable till you get to the miles.
    Those are high miles for a 2010.

Most folks are not aware that the 2010's actually made their debut in late May and early June, 2009. I'm not certain when you bought your 2010 but if it was summertime 2009, that will work in your defense against anyone claiming mileage is REALLY high. It's still pretty darn high for a 2010 vehicle, and I can say that after selling my 2007 with 160K on it after 5 years of ownership.

Your buyers are looking at just 5K more warranty thru the factory on just the major items. Your bumper to bumper was off about 20K ago. If you offer the warranty as transferrable, the next owner will only get 45K out of it before it's worthless too..

Your buyer will need to be someone who drives very little now, as they will need the car's value to balance out over time, and someone who wants all the perks and will see a $22,000 pricetag as being reasonable against the $30,500- $32000 a brand new one costs. I might add that incidentals like remote start are really worthless unless the next buyer cares about it. You could add $2500 wheels and tout their value but unless they have value to the next buyer, they are not worth anywhere near what YOU paid.

That person is out there. It might take time to find them or for them to find you.

By the way, the KBB guides and Edmunds TMV's are all good and well till you try and sell your car (LOL) and you find they are not accurate for the entire country. Not gospel. They are totallly subject to the market in your area and what's going on with the new cars that are like yours! The value of your car is directly tied to the new car deals and sales.

Di

17. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I also want to add that back in 2010, when I was selling these new, a 36 month lease residual for a SUNROOF/NAV package IV at 36K miles (after three years) was approx $20K when the cars first made their debut.

That same identical IV sunroof / nav 2011 car right now, three years from now as a 2011 in 2014 will be worth $16001 at residual. The only difference between your car and the new 2011 may be Safety Connect and the USB port. If you have an early 2010, it has neither.

Use that info as a perspective. Your mileage is very high BUT your car is a year younger. Time doesn't really age a car much if it's not driven. Miles age a car.

1 person likes this.
  18. rocketman1321

rocketman1321 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know what you guys are saying but you are missing one bit of the whole picture. I am well aware that the miles are high...I don't need to be reminded again and again. As far as residual goes, that mean nothing for the value of a car at the end of a lease, unless its a car with a large depreciation factor. When I leased a Jetta, the residual on it was 12,100. The factory sticker was like 21,500. So when the lease was up, that did not mean I could only value my car at 12,100, in fact, I traded the thing in to get this Prius and the trade in that I got for it was $16,000. Thats well over a "residual" The residual is only a number that the financing uses to determine how much of the car you will be paying for over the course of the lease. I payed for just under $10,000 to lease the vehicle and after I traded in, I was $4,000 over "residual" I was simply trying to get an idea of what people would think was a fair price to sell this for, not to be lectured on how it has sooooo many miles. But thank you all for the words of wisdom as I truly do appreciate it. I understand that I am not going to get $33K out of this car, just trying to see what would be fair to sell it for as KBB says it is worth around $24,500. I am not selling it for that much as I too understand the miles are high and am trying to find that sweet spot between miles and price is all. I am sorry if this sounds defensive or whatever I truly do not mean for it too, its just that the point of the topic was simply to see what a fair price would be for the car so thanks for all the advice I appreciate it!

19. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not to detract from Diannes very diplomatic and honest post, I find that dealers and psuedo-dealers will offer about 1/2 retail so they can sell it at full retail or BETTER. That is one problem. The second is: although people are buying new cars, the person doing this is rather comfortably well off. The average low earning Amerian feels lucky to have a job but is definitely not in the market for a car, even a used car. So until the labor market improves, most people cannot afford a different car. To echo what Dianne said, just be patient and wait for the right person, he/she is out there. I am going thru the same thing you are. :cheer2::cheer2:

20. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just want to point out one thing that no one seems mentioned:

New 2011 model still has financial incentive (I checked 1 week ago, 1.9% for 60 month). Not many people has $20K+ cash on hand for an expensive used car, even if it is a good price. This factor may put another $2000 pressure on the price.

The good news is: You only need one good buyer!

So I suggest don't quit finding HIM. I bet there is a good chance a Priuschat reader will buy at a slightly higher than average price, because they value Prius higher than average car shoppers.

Don't be too aggressive when HE appears one day. Do your best to get the deal done!

Good luck!

1 person likes this.