1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with trade in value

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by poppy6, Dec 30, 2015.

1. poppy6

poppy6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a 2006 Prius with 139,000 miles. The hybrid battery and 12v battery are bad. We already had to replace the catalytic converter in May, and we have decided to get rid of the car at this point. We replaced the catalytic converter with an after-market part and we are afraid that if we replace the hybrid battery we may have to replace the catalytic converter again and it won't be worth it. The Toyota dealership has told us that they will give us $1000 on a trade. There is also a dent on the front bumper. The car in front of me started leaving from our neighborhood, then suddenly stopped and I ran into their bumper going very slowly. No damage to their car and I was surprised that ours dented much at all at such a slow speed, but it did. I feel like it should be worth more than $1000, but the online sites like kbb and edmunds don't seem to have a place where I can indicate that it has a bad battery. Any input on how to value it for a trade in would be appreciated.
    Thanks!!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! it's really only worth what they will give you. if someone here tells you $2,000., what good will that do, if the dealers will only give you $1,000.
    unless you try a private sale, the best thing to do is shop it around to different dealers to try and get your best deal. it's really not worth anything to them, and they are just discounting the new vehicle.
    i suppose you could throw in a rebuilt battery and 12v for under $1,000. and ask what it would be worth then. all the best!(y)

3. roamerr

roamerr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you don't like the $1000 then find someone local that will repair the battery for $500 or so. You should then be able to sell for $3000. It all depends. Bad batteries, dented, and add in a few other things like a smoker or stained interior and I could see $1000.

iPhone ?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you should put in a new battery and keep the car. Bring it to the dealer and ask Toyota for a goodwill warranty on the battery. If they grant you assistance on it, you may be able to get it back running at under $2000. That would be quite a few more years of service for only $2000 or less. You can't get that if you buy another car.

Shane Burns likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if I agree with the speculation that replacing your hybrid battery would in any way lead to you having to replace your catalytic converter again.

SInce you'd be getting basically nothing for your Prius, I'd consider strongly replacing the battery.

If you do? You'd have a Prius with 139,000 miles on it, and a new Hybrid Battery and Catalytic Converter. That's not a bad thing.

But if you have tired of the vehicle or fear continued investment?

But $3000 investment into returning a vehicle with 2 of the more expensive parts conceivably new and no longer a problem, would be something I would at least consider strongly doing.

Prieth likes this.
  6. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I think the missing information is: The Catalytic Converter was replaced because the engine is burning oil? So, you replace the HV Battery, but then another Catalytic Converter is on the horizon? In addition to the cost of the battery?

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course I was basing my recommendation and opinion on the assumption that except for the revealed problems the vehicle was in relatively good shape.

If it's burning oil at an alarming rate, and/or their are several other aspects failing?
    Then you do have to look at the big picture.

I leaned towards replace the hybrid battery primarily because without investment into that area, the vehicle simply is worth...nearly nothing. With replacement, it becomes worth much more to the owner, IF it's otherwise in conceivably decent condition. BUT...I agree that evaluation of it's overall condition is important.

8. poppy6

poppy6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much for the replies! I have no idea if the engine was/is burning oil and if that would lead to another catalytic converter failure, just seemed like with our luck we would have to replace it again. We decided to trade it in yesterday. Got a great deal on a RAV4 (I know, the gas mileage is not good...) at a different dealership and we got $2500 for the Prius. I think that's pretty good. I don't know much about how trade ins work, but they didn't even look at the car. Didn't open a door. Didn't look for dents or scratches. They asked us over the phone for the vin # and number of miles. My husband told them about the battery. They offered $2500 before seeing the car and gave us that amount.

We had called Toyota corporate and asked if they could help with the repair. They offered to pay for part of the repair or give us $2000 toward another Toyota. We chose to take the $2000.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so you got $4500 for the car. I think that's a great outcome

Prieth likes this.
  10. poppy6

poppy6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think so too!

11. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So how much was the RAV4 out the door?

12. poppy6

poppy6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2015 RAV4 LE. $21,664.19 OTD, prior to the trade ($2500) and $2000 from Toyota. So, final price was $17,164.19.

Prieth likes this.
  13. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    CONGRATULATIONS! - Nicely Done. Best to you as well for 2016!

14. Knz

Knz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

I know this thread is old but curious to know what you said to corporate to get them to help pay?