1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with XM Antenna Amplifier information (2012 v)

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by TripleTransAm, Jan 24, 2017.

1. TripleTransAm

TripleTransAm New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    As expected I got the royal runaround from my selling dealer regarding the non-functional XM radio on my recently acquired 2012 Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon, not an uppercase v, only the 2010 Prius used uppercase Roman numerals for model designation) wagon. Actually, it's not totally non-functional... seems when it's really cold, the signal is unobtainable and in moderate weather it can come in depending on the orientation of the car. I've actually determined a narrow window where the sucker can actually pull in a good signal... a very narrow window.

Anyway, so I've read some interesting threads here such as this one:
    Prius v Antenna XM Satellite Fading | PriusChat

In it, the original poster owns a 2012 Prius v as myself and makes reference (via an attachment in post #10) to part number 8696047031 to replace his roof-mounted XM antenna amplifier but it is listed as: ANTENNA; AUDIO-AVN 8SPEAKER BLUETOOTH JBL; AUDIO-MONITOR 6SPEAKER BLUETOOTH(EXTRA) and

I don't have the JBL setup, does that imply I have the 6 speaker setup? (I have the unit that just has "xm" markings and not "JBL"). My radio appears to have some sort of map function but I have not yet actually tried to see if it is a NAV of some sort... the "energy" screen is the flat one and not the angled 3D one that I see is associated with the JBL/NAV unit.

I'm also concerned about getting the old part number, as there is supposedly a new and improved part.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I go ahead and order this and begin to tear apart my interior so I can install this replacement part? If there's any additional information needed, I apologize in advance and will gladly provide it, if it means me getting this XM service up and running... and putting this frustrating dealer experience behind me for good.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Take your vin to a dealer and ask for an antenna amp part number and price. The part I installed is the new part. By the way, some dealers have a satellite antenna tester and a procedure, however it requires them to pull the radio to access a connector there. It does point out that failures occur enough for them to have a tester.

#2 rjparker, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not what you want to hear, any way, FWIW, we still receive the promo channels fine but 'solved' the 'XM reception problem' by not renewing the 12 months of complimentary XM service and ignoring their incessant mail and telephone pitches. There's lots of terrestrial signal out there.

RCO likes this.
  4. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Maybe try refreshing your signal per Resend My Signal | SiriusXM Canada

I did a Google search and found complaints about SiriusXM reception in the Montreal area including in BMW and GM cars.

SiriusXM depends largely on land based repeaters - maybe there aren't any/many in your area. The dogstar map shows only one repeater in the Montreal area and it is "unconfirmed": DogstarRadio.com Sirius Radio Satellite and Repeater Map

The last time we tried to use SiriusXM in a rental car in Air_Boss's "New Yawk", it cut out so often we gave up on it but we were mainly in rural hilly areas.

SiriusXM can be streamed from a smartphone app - at least here in the U.S. I tried it but don't listen to SiriusXM enough to make it worthwhile. We let the SiriusXM subscription in our 2012 Prius v Five (JBL) expire since its my wife's daily driver and she doesn't care about it but the demo channel in her Prius still comes in loud and clear.

We have an active SiriusXM subscription in our 2014 Sienna van. Reception is pretty decent here in the central U.S. as long as there are no trees overhead although I still notice occasional drop-outs that last a second or two even when driving in open areas.

RCO likes this.
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Actually XM does not need land based repeaters to work. It needs a line of sight to a satellite that is not interrupted for more than the four second buffer built into each the receiver. In other words you can drive through an underpass and block the signal for up to four seconds. The signal is pretty good and almost never fades from storms like satellite TV often does. The reason for the antenna base rf amp is to drive a long cable to the front of the car through a low cost non-optimized mini coax. If this amp fails you need exceptional conditions for the XM to work. The original Toyota amps often failed and were superceded by a revised, new numbered part. XM does have low power land based transmitters in some big cities to allow operation in skyscraper canyons, inside buildings, and even inside parking garages. Those transmitters usually won't go more than five miles where they exist and operate more like FM transmitters.

RCO likes this.