1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Peaches822

Peaches822 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So I have an 06 prius, got it with 107k miles, was owned by an older lady, until said lady lost her license. I have had to do minimal work besides routine maintenance (ie. suspension, wheel bearings, wires and plugs and oil changes) recently if I let it sit for a day or two when I first start it, it runs like crud. Like it's loud and shakes and just overall doesn't sound happy. Current mileage is about 126k. This is my first prius and I am slightly mechanically inclined. Anyways I guess my question is where should I start first and at 125k miles is there anything maintenance wise I should go over and check? TIA

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    search: loud noise at start up' in the gen 2 forums.

it is likely hydrocarbons sitting on your intake manifold causing detonation. you could try the updated manifold, but i don't think it helps.

#2 bisco, Dec 6, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  3. Peaches822

Peaches822 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I did plugs and wires when I first got it which will be 2 years in April/ May. I thought about looking at the plugs just to see if they gave me any evidence. I work on two strokes as a hobby so this is all new to me lol

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Many DIY enthusiasts will include an OBD2 scanner in their arsenal of tools, if you want the best option for this vehicle, then buy a 'mini-vci' cable ($20) and install a copy of techstream (toyota dealer tech software) on a windows device. If you would rather try a more generic OBD2 option (may be useful for other applications), then buy a quality OBD2 bluetooth adapter and use an App like Dr Prius or Torque. Knowing the OBD2 codes (DTCs) may help diagnose the problem quicker. If you're able to retrieve the OBD2 codes, post them here for additional guidance and advice.

Which make/model spark plugs did you install?

You may have water in the spark plug well(s), has it been raining lately?

5. Peaches822

Peaches822 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I live in Upstate NY so its either raining or snowing this time of year. No codes so far. I have an OBD2 scanner as prior to this vehicle I had a Jimmy that had lots of problems. lol I have been meaning to put it on tech stream so I can learn more about it. That was one of my thoughts with water getting in but I also worry with rodents getting in.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    G2 Prius with very low miles on them have issues with the hybrid battery.
    Start paying close attention to the charging and discharging behavior
    of that battery on the mfd screen the screen above the radio.
    See if it’s losing alot of charge from sitting. That could be why it’s not running good it has no power and what you call loud is you pushing the engine twice as hard to get anywhere because the majority of power comes from a healthy hybrid battery.
    Thats stage1 of battery failure.

everyone’s hybrid battery is failing as we don’t drive much anymore.
    Letting the car sit is death to that battery and the 12.

use the search forums link up top and search

hybrid battery

to see whatever one else is going through now.

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Running VERY rough when started cold that then clears up completely after a short period can be a lot of things.......common to all engines.
    But the Prius engines seem to have a tendency to accumulate oil in the intake manifold which gets sucked into the engine when first started.

I don't remember the exact cause....maybe EGR or PCV.

There are many threads about it, I just don't remember what key words to use to find them.
    Hopefully someone else will remember.

8. Peaches822

Peaches822 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Since I have owned it, I've paid attention to the hybrid battery as I learned it had sat for a couple months, it's been driven almost daily and I have watched the battery on display and it doesn't show me anything out of the ordinary. With it being the economically friendly/most reliable vehicle it leaves usually on a regular basis. I have noticed some extra oil usage.

9. Peaches822

Peaches822 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sam Spade 2, I've noticed more oil consumption recently. Could this correlate?

10. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Could.
    How much more ? Could the oil level be low ??
    Have you also noticed more "smoke" from the exhaust pipe when first started ?

11. PriusWave

PriusWave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Injectors? Or you burned all the oil and the engine is shot.

12. Peaches822

Peaches822 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I check my oil regularly and use about a half a quart to a quart between oil changes. I haven't really noticed more smoke than normal. I'm pulling the plugs tomorrow and going to see if by any chance it's throwing a code and just not telling me.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No you'll know if its throwing a code the dash will light up this car is not bashful about reporting issues.

I would move up to a thicker viscosity oil right now it will greatly help your oil issue. if your going through the trouble of replacing the plugs buy a valve cover gasket it will need it. Your in that area anyway its very easy to pull the valve cover and when its off its a great time to remove the pcv valve. Leave it in the cover take the cover off and then remove the pcv valve.
    take pictures of the valve train and post them here. i want to see how it looks.

14. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wouldn't hurt. But whether it helps or not depends on exactly where and why the loss is occurring.
    It might not help at all.

15. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you know 2-smokes, then you should be familiar with plug checks. How do they look?

16. Peaches822

Peaches822 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Pulled it apart and replaced the valve cover gasket.. how much slack should be in the timing chain? Because I’m pretty sure that’s the problem

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wheres the pictures? What makes you think the chain is worn out? Did not replace the pcv as i suggested real easy with the v cover off.

Want to see if its gunked up or the oil has been maintained. That's going to be the deciding factor if the chain is worn which at the mileage is highly unlikely. Issues with the chain are rare on a G2.

Probably just has a real dirty throttle body. In the picture of the throttle body you will see the 2 little hose connections. One is pretty clogged up thats the pcv hose connection. Both those hose inlets must be clean and the throttle bore clean like this one.

Also pictures of the chain at 145000 miles.

Attached Files:

18. Peaches822

Peaches822 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I wish I took pics. Most everything looked good and didn’t have a lot of signs or symptoms of anything wrong besides a leaky valve covert gasket. But I had enough slack in it that if it were a bicycle the chain would’ve probably hopped off