1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need hybrid battery cells for 2001 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 01Prius, Nov 12, 2010.

1. 01Prius

01Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I am looking for cells to be put into a 2001 Toyota Prius. I've had this car for 2 years and it's been the best car I've ever had. Maybe spent $400 in dealer maintenance only. It has 235,000 km on it. When I bought it, the hybrid battery was tested by dealer and the voltages looked within 0.3 volts of each other.

This week, after driving for 5min, the engine revvs up very high, the fan near 12V trunk battery turns on high, and the engine loses 40% horsepower. I have trouble accelerating over 60km/hr. MFD shows the car with exclamation point through it for hybrid problem. If I turn off the ignition and restart, it's back to normal driving for 5min.

I checked 12V battery (original) is still very strong when idle or charging, but I have the elearnaid.com and a regular Costco battery to replace it this weekend. I think its above 13.5 volts (on MFD display) while car is running, and 10.8 volts with car off and some accessories on.

A few days ago Partsource read engine codes as Hybrid Battery Error, then Block#5 battery error. They cleared the codes. Also I've disconnected the 12V battery and the error comes up again in 5min.

Toyota dealer read the codes a few days later as Block#6 battery error, most of the 19 blocks are around 17.1-17.5 volts approximately, but Block#6 tested above 18volts.

I can post the Toyota battery test results if you like.

I am assuming both block #5 and 6 should be checked for leaks, I will remove the hybrid battery soon to rebuild it. Looking for 2004-2009 battery around Ontario or will ship to Ontario soon, or 2004-2009 a few cells. Worst case is I'd like to find 2001-2003 cells and replace just my block 5 and 6. I've also read the guides here about cleaning leaks, removing the hybrid battery, or Toyota's idea to re-fill leaking cells and re-seal them.

If anyone can help me locate scrapyards that have these, or point me in the right direction that would be good. So far I checked Ebay, Craigslist and Kijijii. Now I'll call a few salvage yards.

Thanks!
    Avi

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you plan to DIY you'll need to obtain two 2G battery assemblies to work with: Your Classic battery requires 38 modules, and each 2G battery assembly contains 28 modules.

Not particularly feasible to mix & match 2G and Classic modules as I understand that the terminals are located at different heights from the base of the module.

3. 01Prius

01Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I didn't know I'll need two 2G battery packs. I read some other threads here about modifying 2G cells to fit 1G battery pack.

4. GuamKelly

GuamKelly Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    http://www.re-involt.com/

These people advertise that they rebuild and repair Gen I battery packs, perhaps they can help.

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can buy individual cells from ReInvolt as well, on ebay. See eBay My World - tautomotive and look for 01-03 Prius Battery Module 7.2V NiMH. $10 each + shipping. These are the presumed good ones that come out of core returns for their main product, the 01-03 packs filled with 04-09 modules. That's a good deal by the way, for $1250. I don't think the average person will save enough money buying two Gen II salvage packs for Gen I DIY rebuild to justify the hassle and risk. There is a learning curve that only comes with spending lots of time messing with high voltage series battery packs.

6. 01Prius

01Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for everyone's help and all the great postings on Priuschat. I replaced my 2001 battery, with modules from a 2005 and 2008 Prius. Sold the extra parts and bought a hobby charger. Total cost was about $900 and 4days work because I didn't remove my battery case from the car and it was hard to work on the bottom of it. I'd recommend the battery be removed from car to be worked on though, since it could only take 1-2 days work then. Car has been running great since then and has around 255,000km on it now.