1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need info on prius battery warranty

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by DENNEHYMAY, Apr 30, 2009.

1. DENNEHYMAY

DENNEHYMAY New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am in the market for a 2010 prius, however i can't seem to get enough information about the battery warranty. If the battery goes bad at 120,000 miles.....is it replaced or do i have to pay a pro rated part of the expense for replacement?

Has anyone with earlier models had a problem with the battery once it reached high mileage ? I read the post about the EV button.

Any info about the prius will help

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The warranty varies by location. California emission states have a longer warranty, at least with current models. The batteries have proven to be very reliable. In the few cases where batteries have been replaced, the cost is less than what you would pay for an automatic transmission. How long is the transmission warranty on your current automobile?

Tom

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See my signature.
    Nothing to concern yourself with.

4. kenworthey

kenworthey New Member

My battery is currently DOA at 113,000 miles. Not covered under warranty. I have been quoted $4900 for the repair in Chicago (though others suggest that price is high).

Someone mentioned the transmission: you ought to be just as or more concerned about that. Mine died at 75K--out of warranty, natch. I was quoted $8500-$9100 for the part. That is what you would expect to pay unless Toyota took pity on you. But a salvage CVT (transmission) would cost more like $2000.

5. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since Ken hasn't filled in that part of his profile, it's worth adding that his car is a 2001. The battery reliability is reportedly greatly improved in the second-generation car, and the 2010 car keeps the same battery, although the cooling and packaging are different.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Furthermore, the Prius and HSD were very new technologies at that time. All of the early adopters were boldly going where no one had gone before.

:deadhorse:

Tom

7. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yep, battery and MG failures are much more common on the first gen (pre-2004) Prius. They are nearly non-existent on the current Prius and I hope would be even better on the 2010.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base