1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need information.... 2008 base audio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Brian Radcliffe, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Brian Radcliffe

Brian Radcliffe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think my amplifier died... if I have one. I can't seem to find information on the non JBL systems. Does the base audio have an integrated amplifier or is it separate from the head unit. When I turn the car on I can hear hi pitched noise coming from the speakers even if the head unit is switched off. When turning on the head unit the high pitch noise remains but now with muddied radio.

I am assuming it's a separate amplifier that's the problem. If there is a separate amplifier for the base audio system where is it located so I can replace it. If there is no separate amp and its the head unit then let me know. Thanks for the help

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    there is no separate amp in the base model. since the oem radio is junk and sounds like it, it is time to score a 2 DIN touch screen head unit to replace that lump of garbage Toyota installed in your dash. you will need a scosche adapter harness kit, and a metra axxess steering wheel button interface. after installing all these goodies, using solder and shrink wrap-- no don't just twist the wires together and wrap masking tape around them like some trailer trash meth head-- you will love your new sound, especially if you also upgrade your speakers, cause the factory speakers are a joke.

3. Brian Radcliffe

Brian Radcliffe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the reply. I just need sound, no audiophile here... I'm thinking stock replacement from a junkyard then. I just needed to know whether it was the head unit or the amp I needed to replace now that I know they are one in the same I can figure on the cheapest way to fix it. Thanks