1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need information on long distances in the Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Daniel Florentino, Apr 25, 2013.

1. SuperABM

SuperABM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    I commute to work about 50 miles per day at an average pace of 70 MPH, I get 61 MPG to and 51 MPG back.

2. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Truth is, you and friends will be crowded in the Prius C and so the Lexus is more comfortable and carries more luggage so its for a 2400 mile round trip. Having driven SD to Savannah 4 times round trip, road smoothness is not an issue. So if your concern is economy the Prius C will shine as your friends - and you - contemplate the widsdom of cramming 4 in a Prius compared to an SC400 just to save $650 in gas money (4500 miles RT at 15 mpg vs 4500 miles RT at 42 mpg on $3.50/gal) and I guess tee shirts and toothbrushes all you are carrying as luggage. The Prius is fully able to make the trip; question is, are you and 3 friends.
    Yeah, I'd take the Lexus.

3. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

4. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It really comes down to how old you are... I know in college this sort of trip would have been nothing.

Rob.au and minkus like this.
  5. Logan Pawelek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III

6. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Boy, that's partly true. Back 50 years ago 4 of us took a 59 VW from VA to FL for Speedweeks - and never again.
    Even for college geeks thats too much unless that gas money is real important. Having had a Lexus at 75 mph you'll be lucky to get 15 mpg and 46 in the Prius. And you're better off changing drivers at gas stops every 4 hours. Thats the expeience not noly from long distance races and countless trips to various tracks over 50 years. Four hours behind the wheel is maximum for good judgment and skill. And not everybody can do that.

ztanos likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But keep in mind that the SC400 is a 2-dr coupe. It'll be comfortable in the front but the back may not be any better than a Prius. That being said, I haven't sat at the back of a 1G SC. It will be more comfortable for the driver and that is more important.

8. !!rob

!!rob New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have driven to FL west coast from Philly multiple times and back.
    I usually do it in two days in my c. Traffic on rt 95 rolls at 80mph especially through the south. I get 48 mph most of the way. That is with 2 people a dog and bags. Would not want to jam 4 friends in it. I have 135000 Miles and 10 years on mine. Still going strong.
    Have a great trip!