1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need information on Prius electrical power

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NewHybrid, Feb 20, 2009.

1. NewHybrid

NewHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Who can provide technical information related to Prius hybrid electrical power requirements, specifically the exact [or very close] amount of volts and watts [or kilowatts] that are necessary to recharge the batteries that supply power to the electric engine [in a reasonable amount of time such as an hour or less; not taking hours such as overnight to recharge]. Toyota specs list the Prius electric motor as running on 500V, and the power output of the two batteries that supply power to the engine is listed by Toyota as 201.6V and 21 kW, each. I would like to design/use a system that would recharge the batteries [such as plugging into a generator at my home or office] so that I can run the vehicle in electric only mode more often. I do much more highway driving than city driving, and the regenerative braking system only provides power to the batteries when slowing or braking such as in city driving. The local Toyota dealership suggested pulse driving [B mode] to get a bit more recharging power when doing highway driving, but that requires coasting or slowing down, and traffic conditions I am in do not provide much opportunity for that. What is the minimum [the 200 volts is easy, but producing 21 kW would require a large generator] electrical energy, volts and watts, that will work well to recharge the Prius batteries, that should be used for design specs for a plug in recharging system? Thank you.

2. Mjolinor

Mjolinor New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I think you need to search the site and read a bit before posting your questions again. Most of your questions are answered already in very recent posts.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius' existing batteries contain enough energy to drive perhaps one mile. The plug-in retrofit companies don't try to recharge the Prius batteries, and neither should you (they add their own batteries essentially in parallel). Figuring it out and building a system that worked correctly would easily cost more than the original car.

If you really want to help clear the air and money is no object:
    - spend $10,000 on a plug-in retrofit. You'll increase electric-only range to a few miles.
    - buy a second Prius and give it to someone who now drives a jalopy.
    - spend $100,000 on a Tesla and give the Prius to someone who now drives a jalopy.

By The Way, the dealer's advice is partly nonsense. B should only be used for added braking on long downgrades; using B always reduces overall fuel economy.

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here is a recent thread on the subject of potentially adding plug-in capability without adding batteries.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    B mode will not help with recharging the battery. Once again a dealer is full of something stinky.

As for charging your battery from the wall, it won't help enough to justify the cost, unless you add a bigger battery. The HV battery in the Prius is very small, equivalent to only a tiny amount of gasoline.

Tom

6. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    And that is the fundamental problem. The Ni-MH HV battery in the Prius has the USABLE energy of about 1/40 of a gallon of gasoline; since it will get you about 1 mile under electric only power, compared to the 40 miles that a gallon of gas will propel the car. Battery/electric storage technology has to improve by several orders of magnitude further before competitive all-electric power becomes viable. Then the question becomes how do you stuff the required energy into the battery in the shortest possible time.

It really is difficult to find an alternative energy medium that has the portability and energy density of gasoline. Which is why the U.S. economy has come to depend on it so heavily.

7. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius