1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need LED Lighting help for 2009 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by joeuser, Jan 12, 2014.

1. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I want to LEDify all the lights and found the correct Flasher relay and all is good.
    In the process of fitting the parking/tail lights (RED) I ordered a 13SMD 5050 RED LED through amazon.com set which outputs roughly the same brightness as the incandescant sylvania 2825LL bulb.

The problem is that I noticed the LED was touching the outer edge of the lens housing within the tail light assembly which surrounds bulb. It was long and it pushed the housing open a bit. Now a few days later, i realized that it (the "door" of the lens housing) has come off and is sitting loosely inside the tail light. This happened on the right (passenger side tail light). The left side is fine so far and I am afraid something similar will occur there as well.

Any suggestion as to how to go about finagling the lens "door" back onto the housing (without having to open up the tail light assembly altogether?

Also, this prompted me to think about the actual clearance on some of these bulbs. The only place which has a restriction is the "tail light" and the "front side marker", everywhere else I should be okay installing an overside LED because of the available space.

I am yet to order an Amber T10 bulb for the Front Side Marker. Any advice on the maximum bulb size that will fit in the given area? I don't want to have dry runs trying out different LED bulb sizes/clearances.

Thanks,
    J

2. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Precisely why i never upgraded my rear tail lights to LED - the length. I attempted to even bake my taillights once to open them up, not sure why, but they seem bonded more securely than the headlights which easily seperated after baking them...the tail lights never would open up. I decided against it for fear of damaging the OEM brake light LEDs that you can not swap out if they ever fail.

4. joeuser

joeuser Prius Junkie

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So basically I'm screwed? The outer casing/plastic doesn't come off even after you remove the assembly altogether?
    Wow!