1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need New Engine in my 2010. Head Gasket. Have many 2012 and newer fell the same fate?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mypriuscious, Apr 11, 2018.

1. mypriuscious

mypriuscious Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As I have seen from many people in my searches that 2010 is a fateful year to have head gasket failure. Maybe others, but I haven't seen any. I am fishing for answers to an untested theory about this problem being tied to EGR. I have had to replace mine twice. In 2012 they updated the intake and I'm just wondering if this theory has been pondered that the updated intake may be key to preventing the need for engine replacement. Some other members that have more experience on the topic might be able to lend their advice in what they've seen here.

I have a replacement engine in possession and am going to get it replaced, I am just considering any other parts that should be replaced as well.

#1 mypriuscious, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. scona

scona Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    EGR and PCV system, the latter being improved with an oil catch can. All you can do with the EGR system is clean it out periodically. Clean the system(EGR) on the replacement engine before installing it and perhaps plumb in the oil catch can as well.

Raytheeagle, m.wynn and Prius ZVW30 like this.
  3. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This. ^^^

Plenty of reports of these issues with 2012 and newer, too, now that many are up into 6-digit mileage. Oil burning isn't just a 2010 thing either. The intake manifold update likely didn't do much to remedy the EGR/cold start knock issues. It really doesn't matter what's going on downstream if the EGR cooler is restricting flow.

Cleaning your EGR circuit (intake manifold, pipe, valve and cooler) while the replacement engine is out of the car would make a tedious job quick and easy!! Then a regular cleaning interval somewhere between 50 and 100k miles after that, with how far you err on the safe side up to you. 5k miles oil change interval with full synthetic will help keep oil burning at bay, also. Once these engines are burning a measurable amount, it's hard (or impossible) to stop without teardown, freeing or replacing the stuck control rings and drilling out the piston oil return holes.

It seems the turd gen engine is simply a victim of Toyota chasing the limits of thermal efficiency. They're still great cars though, and with an awareness of the issues, can easily run typical Toyota mega-miles, IMO. Good luck with the engine swap.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Apart from verging on Shakespearean, maybe urban myth?

What exactly was done? Being a dealership, I'd assume they replace parts, didn't clean? Did they give you the old parts? They could be cleaned and reused.

They replaced it? Would you happen to have the part number of the new one? I'm not sure what the mod's would be, comparing to the original. I've had ours (original) off and cleaned it, wondering myself what the improvements there could be, what was revised, and what issues they were hoping to address. I seem to recall people with the newer version continued to get clogging.

This page indicates the progression of parts numbers I think:

Intake Manifold - Toyota (17120-37054) | Toyota Parts

There appear to be four revisions, lol.

Something from Toyota, even more part numbers:

https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2015/10/96232_T-SB-0103-12.pdf

More from Toyota, this is dizzying:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10084369-5448.pdf

Any more details, how many miles on it?

#4 Mendel Leisk, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    SFO and mypriuscious like this.
  5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Why would you replace the engine if the head gasket failed? Just replace the head gasket. Should be half to a third the cost.

Grit likes this.
  6. mypriuscious

mypriuscious Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They did replace the part and did not clean it. I ended up taking off the intake and the EGR tube and thoroughly cleaning that about 6 months later. They did not give me the old one. I replaced it the second time myself.

81,000 on the new motor. When I said they I meant Toyota updated the part with this part number "17120-37091" to get rid of cold engine start up knocked stated in the recall for that issue.

$3200 at the dealer. And my dealer also said you could be going down a rabbit hole of problems with a HG replacement. I sourced an engine with 81k for 1000 dollars. 1K for the mechanic and about $100 for fluids. I also bought a new water pump OEM as a precaution with 300k on the original.

bisco, scona and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. mypriuscious

mypriuscious Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Honestly, I was considering buying a 2016 Prius V Five and letting my mom use this car until I read this about the newer ones also having these issues. I drive 52K miles a year and I do not plan on going through this again in four years.

m.wynn likes this.
  8. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 2016 (gen 4) is a different EGR circuit, with the cooler being plumbed downstream of the catalytic converter. It's popular opinion around here that this was done to remedy the soot clogged EGR tendencies and subsequent head gasket issues the turd gen is prone to. My personal feeling is this is likely the case. Still, we don't have true high mileage data from gen 4 yet. Personally, I would inspect the Gen 4 EGR circuit just as I do turd gen until I verified for myself that it's a problem solved. It's still external EGR and Toyota has pushed the 2ZR-FXE to an even higher thermal efficiency. Gen 4 is an awesome vehicle, IMO. An upgrade in every way other than looks:eek::eek::eek:.

9. mypriuscious

mypriuscious Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh, I was referring to the Prius station wagon.

m.wynn likes this.
  10. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. 2016 Prius v is indeed turd gen engine!!

11. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your original water pump lasted 300k? That's very good. So, that also means the original engine also lasted 300k miles? I'd sign up for that.

How have other parts fared for you- traction battery, brakes, 12 v?

12. mypriuscious

mypriuscious Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Replaced my brakes twice.

what's an average amount of mileage that a water pump should last?

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  14. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Stories, like yours, make me happy to have a turd gen. It also reinforces my belief that the traction battery longevity is more of a byproduct of years and not miles.

With my cars with timing belts (I hate them), they'd have to changed out at around 60-70k miles. When doing that job, I'd usually have the mechanic replace the water pump at the same time. I had a Jaguar that was on it's 3rd water pump by 100k miles.

mypriuscious likes this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It’s a magnet driven pump. I just pulled ours out of service after 176 k miles:).

Still looked ok, but I play on the preventative side(y).

mypriuscious likes this.
  16. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have 310k on my original water pump, inverter pump, hv battery and transmission is still strong, Rotors had more rust than wear and had to be replaced, on third set of pads. The ac compressor died @ 304k. I believe blown head gaskets are from all the oil, water. fuel coming from the pcv valve during the colder months. That cold start knock is not good for the engine. Still a great car.

As for the water pump, I want to see how long it will last. My cats water fountain has been running 24/7 for the last three years and has a similar design to the prii pump. It is a brushless floating magnet.

mypriuscious and scona like this.
  17. Kingsway

Kingsway Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Active

FWIW - The Prius C has an insulation sleeve over the (very short) PCV hoses - I would think this would keep water vapor as pure water vapor, which could then safely go into the inlet tract without being condensed into water before-hand.

. A lot of the videos I see where people have long, un-insulated hoses to and from a catch can, often have much, much more water than oil captured by it - due to being condensed out of the vapour . I would worry about the can becoming over-full and liquid water being drawn into the engine.

Also, my car seems to have a cyclonic separator, with the oil (and any liquid water) being fed straight back into the oil sump. Just for fun, I hope to add a BMW cyclonic separator ahead of the original one, and trap any oil/water in a separate container, I'm interested to see if the engine oil stays cleaner for longer as a result.

Prius C PCV system.png ..

mypriuscious and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. mypriuscious

mypriuscious Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Because it's a Jag....jk I recently watched The Grand Tour episode where they poked fun at JagUar, as they say it. I've always loved the way they look!

The catch can is a mod I am going to do after I get mine back from the mechanic. I am very fortunate as my mechanic puts me at the front of the line because I work with his wife. I drop it off tomorrow.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. mypriuscious

mypriuscious Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anyone in this thread know what Catalytic converter I could buy that could be welded in. Aftermarket. Did a search and many posts mentioned the cat. but nothing directly about replacing it.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You’re in Ohio, you should be fine;).

Us Cali folks will have a tougher time if it gets to that point:cool:.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

mypriuscious likes this.