1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need new headlight bulb for an 07

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Locqlynn, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Locqlynn

Locqlynn New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ive read some conflicting info and im confused. My headlights are very dark so i figured i need new bulbs.

Which bulbs on amazon are pretty good but will not break the bank. Thank you!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Run your VIN at https://toyota.com/owners

Once you know what type of headlights you have (HID or Halogen), report back here.

donbright likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Headlight bulbs either work or they don't work or sometimes flicker as far as I know? Could it be that your headlight covers need cleaning?

cyberpriusII likes this.
  4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Odds are, you have halogen bulbs, but better to check than make a mistake. If you buy the halogen locally, should be $8-12, depending.

Installing is a different problem I find it easier to partially remove the bumper and then remove the entire fixture, YMMV.

BTW, last few days I have seen a number of Gen II running "one-Eyed."

I suppose the bulb went out and they found out what mechanics are charging to replace them,:p

Oh, Priuscamper is right...btw.

I clean mine with

[​IMG]
    kris

George W, PriusCamper and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Did you exclaim "padiddle" :p.

Or was it just you in the car:whistle:?

6. Locqlynn

Locqlynn New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Multi-Refectr Halogn Auto-Of Headlamps

thank you for telling me about the website!

7. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was that piddle. Haven't done that in a car since my accident a year and a month ago (actually didn't do it then, either). :D
    kris

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since you have Halogens, there are plenty of affordable choices. Look for H4 or HB2 (9003) type bulbs. I wouldn't go much above 4300K (kelvin color index), but you might like brighter white (or purple) lights.

Like @PriusCamper and @cyberpriusII kindly mentioned above, you can make a purchase at one of the local parts shops and possibly get 2x for under $15 total. Do check your headlight lenses for exterior cloudiness, as the UV coating wears on many housings, they might need polishing and then another UV clear coat protectant applied.

Least expensive 4300k two (2) pack on fleabay from the US with decent reviews/free returns. You may get what you pay for.

H4 9003/HB2 12V 60/55W Direct Replace Auto Factory Halogen Light Bulbs | eBay

If you want to live on the edge, and for around the same expense, you could pick from a LED replacement below.

h4 hb2 2007 Toyota Prius Base 1.5L | eBay

Please report back with what you ended up purchasing and how they performed.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. jessiejosco

jessiejosco Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just did the drivers side on our 2005. They don't leave you much room to change the bulb but I managed to do it by just removing the fuse box cover. The hardest part was figuring out that the rubber boot over the bulb had to be rotated to release it from the housing. They don't mention this in the owners manual and you can't get a good look at it in the car. The boot was also really stuck to the old bulb so I ended up releasing the bulb clip and taking them out together. I though it was going to be a problem slipping it over the new bulb in the cramped space but it slipped on easily. It must have been dirt on the old bulb.
    The passenger side you do have to remove the intake snorkel but it looks like you would have more room than on the drivers side after you do that.