1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need new hybrid battery?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hanigom, Nov 15, 2019.

1. hanigom

hanigom New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Was driving my 2014 PriusV, no warning, just all lights went on. After turning the car off and back on, the battery light came on and another light also. Took to dealer and they said I need to replace the hybrid battery because my battery is clogged (I didn't know my battery could get clogged) and that battery was not receiving proper ventilation, cost is $4183.83 + tax, my warranty ended at 100k and I have 138k miles. When I complained to corporate, they called the dealer and dealer stated that dog hairs were the culprit. I've had my dog for only two months and he doesn't go in the car except for maybe 1 time a week. I doubt hairs from my dog would cause such a problem, specially since I didn't get any overheating code or light on.
    Waiting to hear back from corporate.
    Anyone has this problem just happen without any warning?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Usually there is no real warning although a degraded battery will often lower mpg by four or five and will often discharge at a traffic light forcing the engine on. You can get a new Toyota battery for around $2200 installed elsewhere or a new Dorman battery for less. Its unlikely the battery fan was severely clogged but obviously it had dog hairs as a contributing factor to the battery failure. It may have taken 20 or 30k miles off its life. There are rebuilders and used batteries as well that might cost around $1000.

#2 rjparker, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Jack K likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    what dealer is it

what does the battery light look like?

ask the dealer what codes they pulled

i thought cali was 10/150 warranty except prius c

they should have showed you the clogged fan

the dash lights are the warning, but the battery usually goes into safety mode to protect itself from overheating

i think you need to do more research