1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need New Tires (2010 Prius III)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mellow Grey, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Mellow Grey

Mellow Grey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    my tire got punctured by a screw! OH NO MY LIFE IS OVER! But no worries, we'll just buy a new one(s)!

Anyway, I did some research - or at least tried to. Most of the posts I find on here are old, and pretty much irrelevant. Michelin Energy Saver A/S's don't seem to be on rebate anymore, and are actually on backorder. My uncle suggested Yokohamas, and I saw the Avid (T)s suggested on here at least once. Then someone mentioned their daughter was having a horrible time with Yokohama, and then more and more Michelin praise.

So I'm not really sure what to go with anymore. I also saw that $550 is the most I should pay to get them changed, all said and done? I think I spent like $600+ on my old Taurus, so that seems like a reasonable price, albeit low. I'm just curious if much has changed over the last few years aside from Michelin not doing a rebate anymore.

I'm in west-south-eastern PA, with lots of mountains and bad winters, so winter traction would be great since I'm not enough of a car guy to have two sets of tires. Aside from that, I'd like something that might have a higher prevention of punctures...

Thanks in advance!

#1 Mellow Grey, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's not repairable, or tread near-shot? Plug repair seems to be frowned upon, but it's worked a couple of times now, for me.

3. Mellow Grey

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We "repaired it" - put the rubber in and glued it and burnt it or whatever. Seems to be fine for the time being.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Thomas Buttrick

Thomas Buttrick New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires back when my OEM tires first had to be replaced. Unless they have changed, they are junk - instant drop of 5 mpg (same roads, same speeds, same driving habits, same time of year) plus that model tends to drift one direction or the other due to the tread pattern. Im afraid I don't remember what I have now but I think they were the Yokohamas. Ask your service rep what the OEM tires were (there were 2 possible models) and go with them.

5. yibo829

yibo829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Try continental truecontact

Se

6. southtxprius

southtxprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've had good luck with plug repairs done at Discount Tire. Switched from the Kumhos to the Energy Saver A/S this summer when there was a rebate going on. Big improvement.

7. Mellow Grey

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For some reason, the Energy Savers are no longer on TireRack? I mean, they were there two days ago...but I'm not getting them to show up now?

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sold out? Supply always seems spotty for them.

I plug repaired one of my Michelin Pilots maybe 2 years back, no further problems. Same story with an X-Ice, maybe 18 months back.

9. southtxprius

southtxprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Discount Tire took about a week to get the Energy Saver A/S tires in. They were really pushing the Michelin Defenders.