1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need new wheels - non-OEM wheels effect on MPG

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Tryyn, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Tryyn

Tryyn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The OEM wheels on our 2002 are scratched up, and we are also in need of new tires. Tire Rack offers a set of plain 14" steel wheels and 175/65 standard rolling resistance tires for about $600.
    What impact would having plain steel wheels (as opposed to the ultra-lightweight OEM alloys) on the car have and would low-rolling-resistance tires be worthwhile?
    Would the additional weight of the aftermarket wheels prevent stealth mode/electric only? As I understand it, the wheels of a vehicle are essentially flywheels, and a lighter or heavier wheel can have a noticeable impact on acceleration and braking.

2. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't speak to the steel wheels, as my '02 still has the original aluminum ones. As for tires, I'd say don't waste your money on LRR. I've never used LRR tires (after wearing out the original set) in all of these 150K miles since. I've got the General Altimax RT43 tires on it right now and am very pleased with the ride quality and wear. BTW, make sure you use a TireRack-approved installer for mounting, balancing, etc. TireRack installers have special (lower) rates, and you can have TireRack ship everything directly to the installer and save you the hassle.

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The scratches would have to be VERY bad for me to worry about it on a 20 year old car.
    Consult a body shop or two and ask who in the area "fixes" wheels.
    A powder coat paint job can do wonders sometimes.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I paid about 49 a piece for new styled steel wheels I put 15 on a 03 coupe. 14 cost more.