1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need oil. Dealer put in 10W40.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by R-P, Jan 6, 2015.

1. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a ticking noise when accelerating right after start-up. I am assuming it is either the injection noise, but that might stay the same with a warmer engine. Or it could be e.g. the valves combined with a low oil level, so once the oil gets thrown around, it gets quieter.

So I measured the oil and it was a little below minimum. :)

I looked up the Toyota dealers last invoice to see what they put in, but it just said 10W40, without any further details.

Never understood the full synthetic, half, non, etc. bull, even though for my motorcycle it seems very important... (I probably have a gallon of full synthetic 10W40 unopened that I planned to fill my ST1100 bike with before I got ill and stopped riding... :().

So if anyone can enlighten me as to what I should and should NOT put in or if the wisest is to just call the dealer, I'm all ears.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my father put mobil 1 synthetic in his chrysler, and the start up cold ticking went away. 10-40 seems like the wrong weight. what does your o/m say? i'm thinking 5w-20. toyota also has a synthetic. i think it sticks to the metal better, so quicker lubrication.

R-P likes this.
  3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved from technical to maintenance

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your oil level is under the minimum now, just put in the 10w-40 that you have. If that's what the dealer put in, it can't be all that bad. Here in the USA, the cars take a 5w-30 grade oil. Keep an eye on the oil levels and keep a few quarts of oil handy, you WILL need to top off this engine in between oil changes.

R-P likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I looked up the current high/low temperatures in Amsterdam, and it appears to be 44 high / 38 low degrees F for today. That is pretty cold weather.

10W-40 is the wrong viscosity to be using in the winter (too thick) and that is one reason why your engine is making unusual noises. Try 5W-30 during this season and see if that helps. Or if you want to live dangerously, use 0W-30 if that is available in your area. :cool:

And of course, it does not help to allow the engine oil level to drop below the lower dipstick dimple.

Full synthetic motor oil is supposed to have a longer useful service life (10K miles) than mineral motor oil (5K miles).

*Goldfinger* and R-P like this.
  6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why is putting 0w-30 oil in a gen2 Prius living dangerously? In the UK we have similar temperatures as Amsterdam being on the same latitude, and the recommended oil here for the gen2 is 0w-20 with 10k miles oil changes.
    My Prius is now at 112,000 miles and needs no oil top up between changes, and when changed still looks clean. Cleaner than in any other car I have owned even at much lower millages and more frequent oil changes.

John (Britprius)

#6 Britprius, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    edthefox5 likes this.
  7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The correct oil for a gen 2 Prius is 5w30 and the gen3 is 0w20. Toyota UK have said that it's ok to use 0w20 oil in the gen2 if preferred, though my personal thought on that is that as a gen2 is now at least 5 years old, it might be prudent to stick with 5w30. Changing from thick oil to thinner oil in an old or high mileage engine is asking for trouble. If your gen2 has low miles, then by all means use 0w20 - you will notice a small improvement in mpg's.

But 10w40 is mad to use in a Prius of any age and should be removed and filled with 5w30 again.

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    According to the hand book and the oil filler cap on my gen2 0w-20 is the correct oil, and the oil that has been used.
    This "may" be because the last of the line of gen2's "late 2008 early 2009" possibly use the same engine as the Prius C and this also stipulates 0w-20 oil. Looking at the engine specifications apart from some extra polishing to the crankshaft journal bearings "not a cause of oil use", those, and the piston clearances are exactly the same even for the early gen2 Prius.
    I do agree thicker oil will usually help stop oil use particularly if it is being lost down the valve guides. If the piston oil ring return holes are gummed up a thinner oil can actually help, but will not help with heavy ring ware or bore problems particularly if the engine has been run until the oil warning light appears.

John (Britprius)

#8 Britprius, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    R-P and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  9. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If oil return holes are gummed up you can clean them even without disassembling the engine. If valve oils seals are worn you can replace them. I would do those rather than change oil type.

Do you know if oil clearances or oil system other vice was changed when oil changed to 0w-20?

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Clearances remain the same. I do not understand the second part of your question "vice was changed".

John (Britprius)

11. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My manual indeed says 0W20. Given we never get temperatures as low as the -30's (Celsius, about -20F), I can imagine why 10W40 might be suitable (given the drawing on that specific page in the manual). But why an official Toyota dealer would not adhere to Toyota prescribed oil is beyond me*. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

*Although dealers not adhering to manufacturer prescribed actions is, unfortunately, not uncommon... 160€ for a 4wheel alignment is bloody steep, but I did it because last time for 60€ at an independant they couldn''t do the rear wheels (AWD Volvo). And Volvo prescribes a replacement of four bolts that I had lost a nut for (put on a different one). I specifically requested those bolts to be replaced, even though it already is a mandatory replacement in the Volvo technical documentation during wheel alignment. I had had them loose when changing the control arms and the supposedly need to be changed after being loose, hence me stressing the need for replacing it to the dealer.
    When getting the car back, it still had the replacement bolt I had put on myself for the missing one. That's the 4th (!!!!!) Volvo dealer I won't be going back to because they screwed me or were incompetent... :cry: There's only 1 left within a 30 mile radius...

#11 R-P, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Unfortunately dealers not doing what is asked by the customer is not uncommon.
    Whenever I have my car serviced at the dealers I make a point of listing my requirements. After the work has been carried out I check the bill for the work and materials used. On two occasions the wrong grade of oil was used.
    The service writer explaining both times the grade used was acceptable by Toyota. I pointed to the instructions in the manual, and on the oil filler cap. Asking if they were prepared to pay for any extra fuel used with the wrong grade and for the early change of oil required with the wrong oil being used according to the manual. They quickly changed the oil in my presents to the correct grade.

John (Britprius)

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Trying to be funny, obviously did not succeed.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i got it patrick.;)

15. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What I meant was that did they change any other part of oil system but your answer already pretty much covered it.

16. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    0W-30 is all I have used in my GenII.

17. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just had an interesting but very unfulfilling discussion at the dealer.

I asked them why they put in 10W40 and they said it was recommended by Toyota Netherlands. Who since then changed its advice to 5W30. 0W20 they have never used since we are not in Sweden (pretty much his exact words, Sweden being much colder in winter than the Netherlands, which has a moderate seaclimate (300+ days a year between 0 and 20C (30 and 70F))). I told him I thought it wise to use a thinner oil in an engine that often does not even reach normal cars operating temperatures, but he wouldn't hear of it.
    When I threw the numbers (recommended: 0W20) from the booklet in my car at him (figuratively speaking that is... :) ) he started talking about the books being translated in Belgium for the whole of Europe and that the books are not adopted to the specific country. o_O

Think I'll ask Toyota Netherlands for a reaction.

I should have the full service history somewhere (except first service, it has always been serviced by a Toyota branch that is owned by the importer until I bought the car, now (I guess you could call it) a franchise Toyota dealer that is a lot closer to me has serviced it once or twice).
    Maybe I should look that up first to see what they have used in every service.

:whistle: (y)

BTW, I threw in a litre of 5W30 I had left over and the ticking is gone (I think, the temperatures are also insanely high for the time of year, I haven't put on my winter tires and won't need to if this keeps up...). Will tide me over until I decide if I will do the oil myself (getting more likely by the day).

18. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd question continued use of your dealer if that was their response. Plain wrong and if they're happy to peddle such nonsense to your face, what goes on out of sight?

Britprius likes this.
  19. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I used 0w-20 in my Prius the last 2 winters and didnt see any appreciable effect, I wont be using it again this winter. It didnt damage anything or make any condition worse however.

With that being said, I cannot see how 10w40 would be too detrimental to use in the engine for 1 oil change interval, as doesnt the Prius have a broad range of oil recommendations in the multitude of places it is sold? (for example 5w-30 is the recommendation in US but 15w40 is the recommendation in Russia- not that thats the case but Im just using it as an example).

#19 PriusGuy32, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  20. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's your car, so you can put any oil you like in it. If you have any engine warranty issues however, Toyota might have something to say about your choice of oil, but I doubt they'd win in court if they denied you warranty on that basis.

Synthetics are always a good idea in my opinion. They minimize engine wear, which is unavoidable when you have pistons rubbing on cylinder walls billions of times. Blended-synthetics are nearly as good in my opinion, but I think it depends entirely on the grades used by the manufacturer. Avoid the cheap no-name brands, because despite claims that they "exceed all requirements" they can be just garbage in reality.