1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need rear shock upgrade for hauling m/c around

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by larryakoch, Dec 12, 2013.

1. larryakoch

larryakoch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have a trailer hitch that I can load a motorcycle on. The rear end drags tho. Can I upgrade to better shocks/springs. Is there a budget solution like an air shock that I could temporarily blow up when I needed to haul a heavier load?

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Stiffer springs on eBAY just for your needs

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP, not cool dude... you already have a thread here:

Carrying motorcycle on rear | PriusChat

Don't abandon the thread and start another just because everyone is telling you to put your MC on a trailer.

vskid3 and mrstop like this.
  5. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Put the cycle on a trailer...

Les_PL and mrstop like this.
  6. larryakoch

larryakoch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Honda 450 CRF. I didn't abandon thread. I didn't see it so I assumed it didn't post. I have a trail. I'm restricted to 55mph. With bike on back I can do 80 in HOV Lane.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Class 1 hitch has a tongue weight limit of 200 lbs. Your MC weighs about 250 lbs. according to Honda's specifications:

2013 CRF450R Overview - Honda Powersports

So basically you want to know how you can beef up your rear suspension to carry a load that exceeds the capacity of the Prius and your hitch? Oh, and you also want to drive this unsafe setup 80 mph? Sound about right?

Where to begin... not only is the hitch going to be overloaded, but even if you were to somehow mount some airbags in the springs to keep the overloaded rear-end from "dragging", you are still overloading the other load bearing suspension parts. Overloading could lead to failure, sometimes catastrophic, hopefully not while going 80 mph. :eek:

Also, the rear tires will act like a fulcrum between the heavy load at the back and the front wheels, which will have less weight on them. Front wheels are important on the Prius due to the fact that they not only prevent your front end from scraping the ground, but they are also used for propulsion and steering, something that is important when you're going 80 mph.

SCH-I535

Ken Blake likes this.
  8. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OP is not making any sense in his last post.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    He meant "trailer" when he posted trail, so he has a trailer but doesn't want to use it. For the stated reason.

SCH-I535

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Larry, 50 lbs over limit on the hitch might not seem that big a deal to you, but factor in the weight of the carrier as well.

Then remember this is still only static weight. Also, from your reply in the other thread, you are using an adapter to use your carrier, designed for a 2 inch receiver, to fit into your class 1 hitch's 1.25 inch receiver. Once everything is set in motion, bouncing along the freeway at 80 mph, the dynamic forces on the hitch receiver and adapter becomes very much increased.

This is an accident waiting to happen. In today's litigious society it's all about CYA buddy. If your load breaks off and injures or kills someone, I'd bet the lawyers representing the victim's family would love the fact that you overloaded both the car and the hitch beyond stated capacities. You see, the manufacturers aren't stupid, they post the limits on their products to cover their a$$.

SCH-I535

11. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was really referring to doing 80 mph in HOV lane with an overweight bike on the back. Having lived in CA, I can see all kinds of problems occurring that would affect handling and stability, making his Prius unstable and unsafe.

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    jhinsc, sorry, yes I'm sure the OP could easily get cited for carrying an unsafe load.

And ITA about the unsafe setup affecting handling, steering, and braking. At any speed...

SCH-I535

13. larryakoch

larryakoch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well thats why I asked. Now I have answers to my question. I'm back to the trailer. But you know a top knotch trials bike weighs in at 150 lbs.

14. Bucky35

Bucky35 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    give it a try! I would not sweat 150-200lbs and if you don't like it you can always resell the gear

15. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't encourage him... He doesn't have a top notch superlight trials bike. Furthermore, even if he did, there is the weight of the carrier as well. That would easily add the 50+ lbs to exceed the capacity of the hitch. And, as pointed out, the use of the receiver adapter lowers the rating even more.

SCH-I535