1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need recommendation - Stain Removal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bejensen, Jun 27, 2005.

1. bejensen

bejensen New Member

Hello all!

My husband just bought a Prius, and we have had a few accidents already. We have spilled coffee on one of the seats, and there is a very big stain. We have the microfiber kind of seats, which I thought were easy to clean and maintain, until one day I spilled water on it, and now there is a stain from just plain water. I was wondering if anybody can recommend any stain removal, that will get rid of the stains, and not mess up the seat more than it already is. I am afraid to apply anything on the seat until I know for sure that other people have tried it and that it was successful for them. There is nothing worse than nasty seats :(

Thanks in advance!

- B

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    First, what color seats do you have?

I have the tan interior. I will tell you first that the car was scotch-guarded before we bought it. But I can take a wet rag (I mean really wet) and rub at it for a while and the stain will come out. We have a lot of clay in our soil here and I do this weekly to the floor mats. I also got a blue ink stain out this way.

When you do the final wipe, make sure the "grain" of the fabric is going the right way. This will help it to dry and look natural.

I highly recommend seatcovers. I got mine at toyotapartsstore.com, they sent GTcovers which fit perfectly, for a lower cost than directly through GTcovers themselves. It did take a while to come in though.

3. Gen2

Gen2 Member

We've used another microfiber cloth (I don;t know of ot helps, its juat what we have on hand), get it really wet and wring it out. Just carefully wipe inwards (so you don't spread it) and watch the nap as galaxee said.

It may take several attempts to get it out, but it realy should come out. (We had a local club member that got blue ink out after several attempts).

If all that fails. You could have something in your water in your area (its not so pure as most people think it is). Try the same procedure but use distilled water instead of tap water.

If that still doesn't work then get a bottle of upholstry cleaner from Malms.com (you really should not get tothis step, consider this only as a last resort) and gently clean off the stains.

Once you have cleaned the stains, spray some fabric protectant on the seats to make future cleanups easier.