1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Recommendation Where To Begin To Get After Market Nav

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by SSCH, Mar 6, 2014.

1. SSCH

SSCH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've been reading thread after thread and my head is spinning. I have tried to figure out what a lot of the initials mean but I'm lost.

My husband has a 2011 and I think it is a II because it didn't come with Nav package or back up camera. It has the original radio/cd player.

What I would like to surprise him with is in dash screen and also the back up camera. Since he doesn't currently have a screen (he has the radio display) I think that I need to get a Nav unit and the camera unit. In addition to the back up camera, better hands free options than he has now is another reason I want the upgrade for him. Plus I hope it would make it easier for him to connect the IPod. The plug is in the armrest so that has to be open.

Before I go to trying to find local shops, I need advice so that I have some idea of what I'm doing.

If you know specific threads that might help educate me or any advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Adding OEM backup camera and nav system will be super expensive. So you are stuck in aftermarket world.

A lot of aftermarket navi screen units have backup camera options that go with them and they work best when mated when the one they are developed for. Kenwood and Pioneer are the "big brands" that are always good to stick with. Not to say they are so much better than the cheaper options, but some are better or at least have a better warranty. Also with resale, aftermarket units almost always depreciate value. However a good high end brand name system can make it depreciation neutral.

3. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And after-market ones that do all she wants aren't going to be exactly cheap either.
    It might be a better idea to shop for a replacement CAR. Honestly.
    Now THAT would be a big surprise !!!

I'm not big fan of in-dash Nav. in the first place.
    They are expensive, hard to update and if you don't like the features or it breaks, you're screwed.

James4455 likes this.
  4. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Figure on $1,000 plus for the upgrade. The question is how many years do you plan to keep the car?

5. SSCH

SSCH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We plan on keeping it for any more years...as long as it is reliable. I figured that I was looking at $1000 but I can't figure out where the threads are that discuss pros and cons of models. I am so illiterate about the category and that is why I'm trying to research.

I'm actually happy with my Garmin unit so nav isn't a "real" need. I could live with a different after market solution if it was back up camera compatible. Are there touch screen radios that can switch to be the display unit for the camera? It would be a cheaper choice if it is possible. Is that a possibility?

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are pros and cons to them, but they are not car specific. These are aftermarket units meant to go in every make and model, so the research will not be on PriusChat, but on sites like crutchfield.

The GenIII Prius has a Metra Kit available to make the radio hole a double DIN space. That is good news. It means you can get almost any type of radio. The ones with 6.5in or so screens will fit.

If you want the backup camera, definitely get one that has that ability built in.

Then there is the split on the User Interface. You either love them, or hate them. Also many of the lower end models and even mid range models are optimized for cost so much, that the internal processor cannot keep up with the UI. You press a button and it takes 2 seconds for the screen to change. While that is functional, it would annoy me so much I would rip it out of the car. Go down to your local car audio installation place that has all the radios mounted on the wall powered on so you can touch and play with them. Don't buy anything but at least see which ones look good and work well.
    You will also be presented with the choice of going with an Android based system or a standard custom locked down system. The android systems are cool since it essentially makes your headunit a tablet and it can be easily upgraded, most of the time. There are of course exceptions to this.

Because there are so many choices, and you have very few restrictions, you really need to shop around. And because of the nature of these units, internet only shopping can leave you disappointed. Even if you do eventually buy online, at least play with it in person at the store.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

2010 and 2011 Models a virtually the same. First verify if you car is indeed a Model II with base radio. If the back doors have an additional small speaker near the top, you have a Model III or higher. If not yours is a Model II. The reason is the Model II is very easy to upgrade, where as the higher levels present more obstacals which increase the costs. I personally prefer Kenwood eXcelons and they use Garmin for it's NAV. A single ground wire makes the unit full functioning while driving, "passenger" can watch a movie on long drives and it is set up for back up camera function than can be manually selected and/or use with the reverse function. Do your research.

2010 Toyota Prius model II Head Unit Upgrade | PriusChat

frodoz Stereo Upgrade | PriusChat