1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need replacement HV battery? Greentec?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Jesse Elledge, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Jesse Elledge

Jesse Elledge Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I've been a module replacing fool for the last year and I'm sick of it. I'm ready to get into a new battery. I've seen a lot of criticism on Greentec and hope that someone can share their experience with me. They seem to be the only source for a new battery other than Toyota.

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  2. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have any experience with them. They do have a nice web site, and they seem to be well established. Warranty seems okay, too. I wouldn't do the cheapest which uses recycled gen 1 modules. The mid range is made with gen 2 or later modules, again recycled. And the spendyest one MAY be made with new modules--I'd want them to clarify.. You could save on shipping and core charge if you took your old one out, ran over the hill to Vegas, and did an exchange. Again, ask them for instructions.

Let us know how it all works out.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Greentec uses many fancy/misleading words to describe their batteries, you really have to read the wording carefully. It's really not as it seems. That's why people don't really like them.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just go to the dealer and buy a battery over the counter. Then you can assemoas and install it yourself.

You will be much happier long term.

Call around to get the best deal.

Brian in Tucson and dubit like this.
  5. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Back when I first got into these things, I did some research. A year or so ago, Camelback Toyota in Phoenix had a very good price $1950 or so plus tax and I could pick it up at will call. The 4 Runner forum seems to have a discount,code is TWPartz and is for 3% off,which helps covered the sales tax. It's a little challenging to navigate their online catalog, but it can be done. And prices, I believe, are only good for online orders. Link: 2002 Toyota Prius Parts - Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping

Yaay the link works! I think the battery exceeds their free shipping weight restrictions, tho. So plan on paying shipping or picking it up.

Warranty for DIY installs of Toyota batteries is 12 months, btw. My impression is that the swap isn't that bad, and EricBecky might be willing to mentor you. It IS a two person job, tho.

Oh, BTW, I ordered a center dash from them, their price was excellent and the discount and free shipping worked flawlessly!

#5 Brian in Tucson, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  6. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have not seen any dealer that will ship a battery pack.

Having two people is nice, but Ive always fone it alone. It is heavy and very awkward so be prepared.

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  7. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if they'd ship one, never got that far. When I was looking, it seemed like they had one in stock. At any rate, the OP is in Barstow and it really is a manageable one day trip to Phoenix. Best strategy, at least for me, is to take the core out and haul it along for exchange. Don't know if it's exchangeable, tho. He did say he'd been playing wack a mole with the modules.

8. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You've done this, how can they tell if the battery has been worked on? Would they open it up and inspect the core?

9. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  10. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You would be better off paying the core fee and working on thetpack at home. Then retuning the core at a later time. Or I suppose you could bring your tools with you and dismantle the old pack and swap into the new pack in a parking lot or other work area.

You have to transfer over items from your old pack to the new pack.

So unless you plan on stripping out all the necessary transfer item ahead of time it would be a challenge. Plus you need to prep the old pack with items that are in included in the shipping container of the new pack.

11. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Guys you're right of course. I have this hatred of paying shipping or making the trip twice. It borders on the irrational. Core charge can be put on plastic and costs nothing if you are quick enough getting the corpse back to them.

My $400 02 that I bought from forum member Linda L had sat for 18 months, but the battery was less than 4 years old when I dragged the car home from Texas, so my worries went on the back burner. It's gotten over the 200,000 mile hump with a new inverter coolant pump and a replacement brake booster pump. I love the little thing!

12. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a message from this guy yesterday. Seems like he's still got his wrecked car with an almost new HV battery. He's in LA, Jesse. You might message him and see what's up!

Swap batteries on Gen 1 | PriusChat

If I had any use for it, I'd drive over from Tucson and have a look. I think he's ripe to sell it all for almost nothing.