1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need rotors?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Prius_17, Aug 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Prius_17

Prius_17 New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2017 Prius which I purchased new, it has 31k miles. Live in northeast. Garaged.
    10 months and 6k miles ago it passed inspection. Now dealer says all 4 rotors need to be turned or replaced.
    Does this sound reasonable?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nope, not at all... It's a scam... Your vehicle primarily uses the electric motor to generate electricity for your braking... So dishonest mechanics will use the appearance of rusty underused rotors to convince people that something needs to be fixed, when in truth nothing is wrong. It's best to do a long hard brake on a freeway off ramp with the car in neutral so it's only using mechanical brakes to clean up the rotors before you take your car into a Toyota $tealership so they don't think they can get away with lying to you about that one!

For example, I have 1/4 million miles on Prius with all original brake system and still haven't had to do any brake maintenance, but getting closer.

3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a thread about this in here already. Seems to happen to owners living in the Northeast. Look in the Gen 4 section.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do u use much salt on main street?

5. Mr jada

Mr jada Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    I just had to do this and my front brakes were replaced in the first year at no cost to me. That's way too much for a 3 year old car. (72,000k Prius tech) I was told that I don't use the brakes enough....really