1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need seat replacement advice

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by 4restg, Jan 24, 2022.

1. 4restg

4restg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all. I spilled kerosene on the front passenger seat of my 2013 Prius plug-in (won’t get into the really dumb back story)

Anyway, I really need to swap out the seat so the car is usable. I have two questions:

-If I can find a used seat correct for the model, is it just a simple swap job, or will putting in a new seat upset the car’s computer? (Side note, I already know I need to take care not to trigger the airbag system).

-Is it possible to replace just the bottom seat cushion? This is where the spill happened.

Thanks for helping with my dumb problem!

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can replace just the bottom on the seat. Have you tried cleaning it?
    You can check junk yards for seat replacements.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those are good.
    There is a product called "Totally Awsome" that REALLY works well. I use a 50/50 mix with water.
    You can get it at the "Dollar(.25) Store".
    You might have to remove the bottom portion to get to the padding/foam so you can soak it.
    But it would be a lot cheaper than buying another seat...

Also, leaving banana peels overnight will help obsorb the odor.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Finding a compatible seat from a wrecker to swap out is easiest way... Main concern is side air bag in seat... Assuming they do that in Gen3 like they did in later year Gen2, that's the expensive/risky part. Hopefully someone who knows Gen3 better will show up to this thread and let you know which Prius are compatible with a swap... But I'd go with what @Mendel Leisk is saying... Or just take it to an auto detailer. Because there's nothing wrong with the seat other than needing cleaning. Of course if you spilled like a gallon of Kerosene, then maybe that's too much? How much did you spill?

6. tallprius

tallprius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Premium w/ Solar Cells

Your odor problem maybe coming from the 2 inches of foam/cushion material under and inside the seat cover of lower seat. Get a junk seat for $50 bucks, clean just your seat cover and swap in the cushion material from the junk seat. A better solution would be to find a matching seat with blown airbag and just swap in the entire lower section. Be safe and avoid the airbag in upper part of seat