1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need some advice after breakdown and what the dealer says is wrong

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Maveric169, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Fingers04501

Fingers04501 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did one of four injectors over the weekend, it doesn't look like anyone has answered that part yet. i am by no means a pro mechanic and it took me about an hour and a half to replace that one. all 4 were easily exposed. another user sent me this step-by-step guide that made things super easy.
    https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2015/11/96633_2008_Toyota_Prius_fuel_injector_replacement.pdf

one thing i found out the hard way is to make sure that your new injectors come with the required o-rings to replace them, i crushed one accidentally not having the #4 injector perfectly aligned.

another tip that is mentioned in the above attachment but i overlooked is to blow off the top of the motor before removing the fuel rail. 3 of the 4 injectors pulled out with it and i almost got a lot of grit in the holes. i was able to replace everything carefully and then blow it out.

hope this helps.

2. stockdaddy

stockdaddy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    On the 2001-2003 Prius a common problem (P3190, P3191) was the relay switch for the fuel injector failed which caused the engine problems. However if you swap the horn relay for the fuel injection one (exactly same), it's a free fix. Another thing is to clean the sensor for the air cleaner. Reset your codes after.

If you recently had an oil change and it was overfilled, then oil may have flooded the system giving you your problems.

You can buy an entire used Prius engine delivered for $300-$500 (+ labor install it) so I wouldn't put too much money into fixing the old one.

3. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    this might be late but why are you replacing injectors?
    you can have them cleaned and the odds of all 4 going bad at once is slim to none
    they used to sell a can of injector cleaner that screwed into the fuel rail and cleaned them in the car...
    same as the dealer fuel injector service at a 10th of the cost