1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need some help between a 2012 Prius two 133k miles and a 2013 Corolla LE 73k miles

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by HorseLettuce, May 12, 2021.

1. HorseLettuce

HorseLettuce New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prob not the right place to ask but help is appreciated greatly.

Need to find a reliable commuting car , starting work soon and around my area these were the 2 best vehicles I could find.

the Prius OTD is $7500 but dealer will prob meet me around $6800-7000, will know for sure tomorrow. It has been maintained properly since 2012 with regular service every 5-7k miles and no accident history, but it does have 133k miles.

the Corolla OTD is $8000 but it has been in 2 accidents, and some bumps on side door and under brake light. Honestly only cosmetics damages, but it allowed me to haggle the price down by $1,500 if not OTD would have been $9500.
    Need some honest help, trying to choose by tomorrow or Friday and open to any input.

Attached Files:

2. Light

Light New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Honestly imo it's really your choice. Consider the factors with both cars, both positive and negatives. The prius has more than 100k miles which is usually a bad point for cars to pass, but it all depends on the maintenance and condition of the car. As u stated the prius had been taken care of regularly meaning that it should run fine for a long time more with regular maintenance as I've seen people with 200k plus miles or people in 10 year old to 20 year old cars still kicking. Just shows how long a car with last when u take care of it.

The corolla on the other hand is just a year later, with quite a bit less miles than the prius which is usually a positive, but imo what makes it the obvious last choice is the two accidents. Unless you have seen a full report of all the damages on the INSIDE of the car, you have no idea what could be fragile and ready to break down due to wear and tear from those previous accidents. It also has more cosmetic issues which is something that matters if you care about that.

All in all check everything out. Ask for the carfax and whichever one you decide to go with, make sure you take it to a mechanic as soon as possible to figure out what you might need to fix or what issues there might be. Also, absolutely make sure you test drive both vehicles before you decide.

3. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Tbh I’d go for the undamaged Prius personally

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    prius is gonna blow a head gasket, if it hasn't already

5. Samuel Williams Jr

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep unlike the Gen 2 the Gen 3's tend to have issues that become apparent right around 100000 miles, it would seem. I would bet the Gen 3 has started to use a lot of oil? Something that would be hard to detect on a test drive?

Cleaning the EGR system and the intake manifold and installing a Oil Catch Can, seems to yield good results. Not that big a deal if you are aware of it, but most likely not something people buying a new car are looking to do?

You can find more details here ... to start.
    Excessive Oil: *PLEASE* do report! Instructions from Toyota here | Page 3 | PriusChat

A 2015 Gen 3 would be a better choice in a Gen 3 Prius. They at least changed the pistons and rings with it. Assuming the Corolla has no hidden damage (I'd have it checked by a third party or at least get a warranty?) Between the two, that's the one the least likely to be troublesome going forward but it's not a Hybrid. :(

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    a 10 year old Prius is a cool mystery box. Might save you a little gas money, might cost you a lot of repair money. Major wildcard factor.

A 10 year old Corolla is dead simple, what you see is what you get. Nothing under the surface. (And this one isn't even 10 years old)

If your goal is to save money on a commuting appliance, the choice is easy- get the Corolla.

7. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

your said "dealer", so it's definitely not the best deal on either.