1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need some help on upgrading suspension!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by EdyJun, Jan 11, 2012.

?
  1. Front and rear anti-sway bar

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Front anti-sway bar ONLY

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rear anti-sway bar Only

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  4. Front Tower Bar & Under Brace

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  5. All of the above

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. EdyJun

EdyJun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey PriusChat!

I recently purchased a 2010 Prius II used. I have had this Prius for little over 2 months and during this time I have noticed how sloppy the suspension could be. The most annoying part is when taking turns. The under-steer is a bit scary for me. I am coming from a German car.

I wanted to know what PriusChat could recommend to help make the car handle better during turning at speed i.e. freeway, onramp, or quick left or right turns. :)

I know that anti-sway bars can help with this, looking for more information (brand name, size, and model) on this and if I also need the tower bar and under brace?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

2. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Look at my signature, I've done it all and love it. No understeer, flat cornering, lots of fun on on-ramps.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't vote because you didn't list the two main ingredients for improved handling which are lowering springs and 17" or 18" wheels. Unfortunately the wheels will lower mpg and the springs may make driving up steep slopes difficult.

Sway bars help but they are minor improvements compared to springs and upsized wheels.

Ok, I'll vote anyway. lol

4. gambit023

gambit023 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm pretty new to the Prius, just got a 2011 III three weeks ago.

Does this vehicle not come factory with a front sway bar?

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It does but we are talking about thicker performance bars.

6. EdyJun

EdyJun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    SO it seems like Rear anti-sway bar is a must... anyone have any real life recommendation for model and size?

I see a few and xB seems to be a good choice.

7. d0nsut

d0nsut New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    so, this is an interesting thread to me. While I enjoy my Prius, I would like to make it more stable on the freeway especially where wind and cross winds are concerned.

I drive mostly 70% freeway 30% city driving. Occasionally I have to go offroad - basically driving down a dirt road, jeep road, or through a field for parking when I attend mountain bike race events. With that, I don't think lowering the car or adding bigger wheels and tires are going to be an option for me.

Is there a way I can stiffen up the car a little and still be able to drive (very slowly) across a field without ripping the car apart?

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would start with the rear sway bar from the Prius plus pkg, followed by the Tanabe strut tower bar. Both are easily installed for a moderately skilled DIYer. If you really want to make a bigger difference, add the lowering springs from the Prius Plus pkg.

MB860 ?

9. Dark_matter_doesn't

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Adding the Cusco center power brace and Tanabe strut tower brace & forward under brace will stiffen up the body significantly and force the suspension system to exclusively deal with uneven road surfaces rather than sharing the load with body flex. These will also help quiet body squeaks and rattles. The rear anti-sway bar should help with stability. None of these will make a difference going down a dirt road or driving across a field.

10. EdyJun

EdyJun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do I need a Prius plus vin to get the parts?

11. d0nsut

d0nsut New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Sweet! I'm not necessarily looking to go off-road any better, I just don't want to lose any of the car's current off-road ability (such as lowering the car or filling the fenderwells full of tire.) Off-road ability is very VERY relative term. I'd just like to tighten up the suspension and make it a little more stable at freeway speeds while still maintaining the ability to do some light driving off the pavement.

12. PriusProject

PriusProject New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All,

Now Toyota TRD offers rear sway bar and lowering springs.
    toyota.com/prius-hybrid/plus

13. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have no data for comparison...but I want to agree with these comments. However one sway bar is a fraction of the cost for four springs, tires, rims. So I bow out.

14. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your local dealer should be able to order it for you. :p

The prius plus pkg lowering springs are only $225 or so and will lower the car more than some of the aftermarket springs. But since you need the ground clearance I would not bother.

Be careful of the braces too, as some of them will stick out slightly and reduce your ground clearance.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Larger wheels do not affect your ability to go off road. I do it nearly every day for work. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Dark_matter_doesn't

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Cusco mid-chassis power brace tucks in pretty well under the vehicle and doesn't compromise ground clearance. The Tanabe front under brace does stick down a bit, and I've hit this a few times on crossing certain speed bumps. I've ground down the lowest points near the bolt-up points on each end with a Dremel, and suggested to Tanabe that they not make those so protruding.

17. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Is there any performance data that shows the improvement of the Performance Package? Slalom, turning G's, etc?

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you need numbers? The package makes a huge difference in handling and cornering ability vs. the regular Prius Two-Four. The Five model already has 17" wheels so the difference is smaller but still very noticeable. With hundreds of posts from people who have done the upgrade I have yet to read about anyone not experiencing a huge improvement in handling, stability and cornering ability.

Try searching the GenIII Modifications forum. Lots of good info.

Bmr4life likes this.