1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need some help replacing the 12v battery, any info would be appreciated!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Sid Frey, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Sid Frey

Sid Frey New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is my first post here, so I apologize if I did anything wrong. I saw the sticky for 12v batteries which was helpful, but didnt really explain too much. I have a 2016 Prius 2 hatchback and I got a message saying 12v is low. I couldnt start the car but eventually got a jump. This morning I was able to start it and start it again during lunch so I drove it to autozone right away. They tested the battery and said it was bad, but apparently its a "deal only" part so they dont carry it. The car started again though, which is weird because I thought the battery is bad. Is it possible shes lying or maybe my battery is just dying but not dead yet.

Anyways I called the dealership and they want $300 for the part and replacement. I looked online and could not find the battery anywhere. I do see that the Prius from 2015 and before you can find batteries online, but those one look like theyre in the trunk. I confirmed mine is under the hood and looks accessible.

I guess my main question is does anyone have a video or instructions on how to replace myself? I see the two clamps like normal, but there are some cables going into the battery which I haven't seen on other cars. Do I just yank the cables loose? Also I saw a few nuts on the battery terminal itself, but I thought I just need to loosen the clamps and pop them up. I looked in the owners manual and only saw generic info but nothing about doing the actual replacement.

Ive looked everywhere online but I am willing to research myself if anyone can get me started in the right direction. Im tight on money the day after Christmas so I was hoping to replace it for cheaper. The one dealership said they give me a discount if they keep my old battery, so I may have to replace it in their parking lot on my lunch break, which is another reason im trying to prepare myself. I dont have many tools and didnt want to get stuck in their parking lot and not be able to get back to work. >_<

Thank you to anyone that can help a Prius newb!! (I love the car though)

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12v battery doesn't start the car like a normal battery - it provides power to the computer and all the various solenoids, switches, etc which "starts" the car.

The car actually starts moving only by electric power (hybrid battery), at least for the first few nano-seconds, and in reverse, always. When the car decides it needs the Internal Combustion Engine running (ICE), it's the hybrid battery which provides the power for that. That said, the ICE will sometimes run when you first "POWER" up, if the Climate Control is wanting heat, or the Hybrid battery is low.

But if it's "flat" at the start of the day, but works OK during the day, that could well indicate that it's not healthy enough to survive through the night. [The same will often happen with a "normal" car which will be flat when stone cold, but be able to start fine when the battery is warm and has received some recent charge.]

Have you tried putting a battery charger on it overnight?

I've read most posts with Gen 4 - there haven't been many 12 v batteries, maybe 2 or 4, and I haven't seen any diagrams or videos, sorry. Though $300 sounds reasonable - I heard someone having to pay $500 for an "ordinary" car here recently.

You could check with the dealership who could check that there are no other reasons why it went flat.

Is it new to you? - if not, could it have been sitting in a dealership for a while?

Sid Frey likes this.
  3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If the battery was low on charge when it was tested it will test bad.

It needs to be on a charger and fully charged before testing or it will fail.

I don't know if the local parts stores carry a replacement battery so give a few of them a call, most will change it for you I believe. If they do just watch them.

This one should fit.

http://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/car-and-truck/toyota/prius/2016/l4-1.8l-325cca-hybrid/sli51pagm

Sam's Club handles Duracell car batteries.

This may fit, it's cheap.
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/premium-5598/battery-accessories-16452/battery---automotive-16864/battery---best-fit-16245/ec27e4e51018/super-start-premium-group-size-140r-top-post-battery/140rprm/5769218

#3 padroo, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Sid Frey and alanclarkeau like this.
  4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I think AutoZone doesn’t know they carry it. I haven’t seen one firsthand, but from all the information I can find, their Duralast H4-DL battery should be a direct replacement, as I’ve mentioned previously. AutoZone’s database only shows that it works in a Chevrolet Spark, and no one has bought one and reported their experience here, but the size, terminal arrangement, etc., appear to be a match for the original.
    That one is an AGM battery—quite suitable for 2015 and earlier Prius cars, but not needed for a 2016—and it may be physically too long to fit in the space available. There are several websites that apparently haven’t been updated to reflect that 2016 and later models use a new size and type of battery.
    The definitive instructions are in the Repair Manual (more info). You can find the text and illustrations in the Chilton Library database, to which your local public library offers access at no charge.
    No, nothing is yanked loose—for each terminal (negative and positive), you just loosen one nut, then lift the assembly off of the terminal post. There is also a battery clamp with a hold-down bolt.
    That’s a “core charge,” reflecting the recycling value of the old part, and any reputable seller of parts—dealer or otherwise—will refund it whenever you return the old part, even if it’s a few days or weeks later.

5. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sid Frey and krmcg like this.
  6. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is it possible your driving only includes short trips, thus not recharging the 12V completely? Do you ever run accessories while the car is not READY, the 12V battery only recharges when the car is in READY? The Prius 12V battery is not overly capable. All it is designed to do is power up some electronics and close some relays that brings the big Traction Battery online. It's hard to believe a 2-year old 12V battery is bad. I believe it is simply not getting a proper recharge.

Sid Frey likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    there is another thread here today with a gen4 battery source at a local auto parts dealer for $150. plus 25% off first time customer discount.

replacing under the hood is easy, just loosen the nut on the nehative post first and wiggle off, then do the positive. and there is probably a hold down bracket.
    reverse order when replacing.
    all the best!(y)

Sid Frey and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I haven't had a reason to remove my battery yet but the terminals are different than any I have ever seen before but not rocket science either i'm sure.

Sid Frey likes this.
  9. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Remove and replace isn't the problem. It's the complicated stuff you have to do once you reconnect the new battery.

SM-T820 ?

Sid Frey and alanclarkeau like this.
  10. Sid Frey

Sid Frey New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, this is great info, thank you so much! I bought it used at like 30k miles and now im at 42k so im assuming they never swapped the battery. I called the dealership they said its not covered.

Thankyou for the links! I will see if I can order one of these but since I dont know anything I may just buy the one from the dealership to cover my butt.

Thankyou for the info. After reading all these posts im now confident enough to remove it. The wires and stuff I am looking at appear to be connected to the post, so when I loosen the clamp i'm guessing it all pops off. I feel stupid now.

thankyou!

I never really noticed the READY light to be honest, I usually just hop in hit the power button and take off. It actually was dead Christmas Eve when we had left my in-laws house around 1am and my brother in law jumped me. Its a good 20 minute drive and I dont normally take super short trips but I guess sometimes I do if Im running to the corner store. I agree its weird the battery is already dead but I live in Arizona and I see the heat shroud thingy is still on the battery so maybe its just time? I was told to rip that heat stuff from the battery since its so hot in AZ.

Thanks!! You have given me confidence. After looking at it again I think I was getting scared by the posts, but that whole thing should just pop off it seems and I can just leave everything together except 2 screws, Im going to try it today at lunch.

Ya I know its a dumb question. I have changed a battery on a car like 5 years ago but this battery had some wires on the posts and I got scared since its a Prius I really didnt want to mess things up.

Ya know what, I was worried about this. I read online there are like 3 things you have to do and one of them is drive in a straight line at like 20MPH and im wondering if any of that is really needed? I think its crazy I have to do that but if I need to then I will. Im not sure how I will be able to drive out of a parking lot in a straight line though! Not sure what you mean by SM-T820?

Thankyou again everyone!! I think we got this figured out! I am going to look around this forum and see if I can learn me anything else useful !!

bisco likes this.
  11. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And the answer is?

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Going from memory: open/close the lid over the gas cap before doing anything else, and drive in a straight line for more than 5 seconds at a speed higher than maybe 20 mph. I'm not peeking, how'd I do?

padroo likes this.
  13. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Manual talks about it - there are 6 pages about it worth reading - also a link to what needs re initialising. My copy of the USA Manual is page 711 ->.

It suggests consulting the TOYOTA dealer - but then says to go to page 760 (my copy of the manual - yours might be different page).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    1. PROCEDURES NECESSARY WHEN AUXILIARY BATTERY TERMINAL IS DISCONNECTED/RECONNECTED

• After the power switch is turned off, the radio and display receiver assembly records various types of memory and settings. As a result, after turning the power switch off, make sure to wait at least 120 seconds before disconnecting the cable from the negative (-) auxiliary battery terminal.
      • After the power switch is turned off, the navigation receiver assembly records various types of memory and settings. As a result, after turning the power switch off, make sure to wait at least 120 seconds before disconnecting the cable from the negative (-) auxiliary battery terminal.
      • When the cable has been disconnected and reconnected to the negative (-) auxiliary battery terminal, open and close the fuel lid before turning the power switch on (IG).
        HINT:

The accuracy of the fuel receive gauge changes depending on fuel tank deformation caused by internal pressure. Before turning the power switch on (IG), equalizing the fuel tank pressure with the ambient air pressure by opening and closing the fuel lid after disconnecting and reconnecting the cable to the negative (-) auxiliary battery terminal increases the accuracy of the fuel receiver gauge.

• This is from my online manual for a 2016 Prius.

alanclarkeau and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. IamPrius

IamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "The accuracy of the fuel receive gauge changes depending on fuel tank deformation caused by internal pressure. Before turning the power switch on (IG), equalizing the fuel tank pressure with the ambient air pressure by opening and closing the fuel lid after disconnecting and reconnecting the cable to the negative (-) auxiliary battery terminal increases the accuracy of the fuel receiver gauge."
    I have never heard the fuel cap referred to as a lid.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Lid sounds more like the door on the body work.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  17. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The fuel lid is the door, not the screw-on cap for the filler pipe. They want you to press the button to open it, after reconnecting the auxiliary battery, since that also causes the engine control module to open the fuel vapor-containment valve, equalizing the pressure in the tank. See the discussion of the evaporative emission control system in New Car Features (more info).

mark27lim, alanclarkeau and krmcg like this.
  18. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This may only be relevant to USA models - the rest of the world, I believe, doesn't have this.

19. IamPrius

IamPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Being old school, I would have read that and thought they meant to take off and then put back on the gas cap. That's how we did it way back when. If it stated "opening and closing the fuel door" that would have made more sense. But now that I think about it, I would wonder how opening and closing the fuel door would do anything. Damn, cars are so complicated these days.

#19 IamPrius, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  20. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Radar detector a couple times came up with battery low message and during the last service they gave my battery a yellow check in the service sheet. I checked the battery itself and its usually always right around 12.3 or so volts, but on a colder morning, Im sure it could be less. Never the less, I got out my Battery tester the other day and decided to test the prius battery and tested right around 200cca and this was roughly in 80 degree weather, ideally it supposed to provide 295cca. I've had good luck with the toyota oem batteries in the past but this one seems to be really poor with all the other battery threads already out there. I've even thrown it on the $100 battery charger I own that supposedly repairs batteries so I am thinking these batteries are crap that came in my car. Posting the pics to help anyone else out there. My current mileage is 51k, 2016 prius, picked up 2.5 months after car was built. I haven't yet got the official message yet on my multifunction screen saying low battery but figured I would post this to help any others out with some real info. By the way, I tested a couple other batteries I have and the tester tested them spot on with the sticker. priusbattery.jpg priusbattery1.jpg

mark27lim likes this.