1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need some help with my V12 Auxiliary battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BigPoppa420, Mar 22, 2017.

1. BigPoppa420

BigPoppa420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I just got a used 2006 Prius about 2 months ago. This is also my first car so I'm really unsure about a bunch of things.

The car died on me yesterday while I was driving, bunch of warning lights came on and basically wouldn't accelerate. Had to get it towed back to my apartment.

I ran diagnostics on it and figured it was due to my V12 battery being dead (11.5V reading in accessory mode, 10.5V under load)

The battery is an Exide Edge. I've been doing a bunch of reading and I think my options right now are to:
    • Charge it with a regular charger
    • Charge it with a desulfating charger
    • Replace the battery entirely

I've been driving it almost every day for the past 2 months so I don't think it has any sulfation problems. If anyone could give me any advice on what I should do next I would really appreciate it. Any recommendations on chargers would also be great.

Thanks!

2. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any cheap trickle charger 2 amps or less overnight should bring it back up. If it doesn't charge up spend the money for the new OEM Toyota battery and don't worry about it again for 6-8 years.

If you call a couple Toyota dealers you should be able to get one for less than $200. The aftermarkets are not as good as the OEM Toyota IMO. I buy about 10 per month from my local dealer. I have tried all of the aftermarkets and get the best results with OEM.

lyvisky, BigPoppa420, biglew8 and 2 others like this.
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Inexpensive battery maintainer, Die-Hard (Sears) 28.71219, I think I paid $19 for mine. Whenever car is garaged, the maintainer is connected (just in case) Welcome to PriusChat!!!

BigPoppa420 likes this.
  4. BigPoppa420

BigPoppa420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would this work?

[​IMG]

Also I'm assuming I'd have to take the battery out of my car in order to charge it at home? Thanks for your help!

5. BigPoppa420

BigPoppa420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately I live in an apartment and so I dont think the maintainer would be suitable. Thank you so much for your input though!

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Amazon has a nice ac delco prius battery, around $120

BigPoppa420 likes this.
  7. Currahee

Currahee Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I picked up a Bosch for $140 the other day, came with a 4 year replacement warranty. Put it on the little G750 charger for a day and it came up to a nice 13.6V. I wouldn't buy any special chargers; the charging specs on the battery are suited for normal chargers.

BigPoppa420 likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looks like a good choice, albeit the amperage is a bit low. I would go for the 3.5 amp. Check the owners manual, but I believe it recommends 3.5 amp max (page 315).

FWIW, I use a couple of CTEK: a 3.3 and 4.3 (both the name and the amperage). You want a "smart" charger, assessing the state of charge as it goes, runs through a regimen, and when wrapped up can be left on indefinitely if needed, as a maintainer.

BigPoppa420 likes this.
  9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BigPoppa420 likes this.
  10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Given that it is driven daily......IF the voltage measured at the battery while the car is ON (ready to drive mode) is 13 V or above.......then just replace your failing battery.

There is no good reason to believe that ANY external charger will keep the old battery alive longer than the onboard charging system will........unless maybe you could plug it in every night and then you are just postponing the pain.

kenoarto and BigPoppa420 like this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    isn't the prius able to run without the 12v?

BigPoppa420 likes this.
  12. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Run? ...not sure; get to Ready? ...doubt it! o_O

BigPoppa420 likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right. won't go ready, but i thought if you were driving, it wouldn't shut down. i could be mistaken though.

BigPoppa420 likes this.
  14. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It seems likely that the hybrid system's 12v charging system would take over and keep the hv relay closed and the computer running. But then when you stop, you'd be stuck. Best to bite the bullet and get a new battery. How much you spend depends on how soon you plan to get rear ended at a traffic light. :confused:

15. BigPoppa420

BigPoppa420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the input everyone! I am actually so overwhelmed with how many responses this post got. I really appreciate the help. I'll probably check the voltage again in about 2 weeks / a month and if it seems to be dropping too low I'll just get a new battery.

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a plan, please let us know if anything goes right. all the best!(y)

BigPoppa420 likes this.
  17. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When you say "under load" I assume that's when the car is not in ready mode?

If it's low in ready mode your inverter is not charging it.
    You should pretty much have normal voltage in ready mode as the inverter will pull off the traction battery to keep the auxiliary up and even kick on the engine if necessary.

If you're in simple auxiliary mode then it's just your battery.

kenoarto likes this.
  18. BigPoppa420

BigPoppa420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

When I was in accessory mode (Power button without foot on pedal) I got a reading of 11.5V. By under load I meant accessory mode + headlights and air conditioning. That brought me down to about 10.5V

I've charged the battery and it reads a healthy 12.4 - 12.6V in accessory mode now.

19. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That 12V battery might be a bit weak, but it definitely isn't what caused the loss of power while driving!

You need to start looking into other causes, and first on the list would be inverter coolant pump failure. Also, check all your fluid levels.

Sakan Luerakoran likes this.
  20. BigPoppa420

BigPoppa420 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish I saw this earlier lol. Car broke down on me again while I was driving. Got it towed to a Toyota dealer and they said it was because the air filter was installed wrong and there was a bunch of debris in the transmission shaft or something. Really strange because it worked totally fine for the first 2 months after I got the car.