1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need some suggestions for fog lights

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Nel, May 30, 2013.

1. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My dad just recently ordered some fog lights for my C3, even though I wanted to wait a while. I guess he's more excited than I am to mod my car?? Oh well, win win :)

I'm assuming the fog lights are also H11 size from what I've read. My only problem is finding the color of output I want. I recall seeing some other cars run fog lights that are a really intense yellow with a slight touch of lime green. It's absolutely not a plain yellow, but something I might describe as highlighter with a sprinkle of lime. Where can I get this specific color for fogs? I'd prefer sticking with halogens if possible, but I'm ready to install HIDs if need be.

On top of finding that particular color, I also wanted to know if it's a good idea to run HID's for fogs (or if it's even possible). I don't want the fogs to ruin a clean cut off from my headlights, and I don't want to blind other drivers on the road.

Somebody please point me in the right direction for those two things. I'll be glad to update with pics when the time comes.

2. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    it is possible to run hids in the fogs. but first off, if you do that, you will be blinding everybody and will be doing more harm then good. so save the trouble and get normal yellow halogens. the yellow color will really help at night time driving in the rain! also most of the time when you get yellow bulbs, both bulbs will have different colors. they will be very similar and most people wont be able to tell the difference.

another idea you can do is to get yellow tint on the lens. that way you can just put normal halogens and the output will be yellow since the yellow tint is on the lens

3. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I was quite aware of the possibility of blinding other drivers if I put HIDs in there. Chances are, I won't do that.

Color wise, do you know what color I'm describing? I've always had normal yellow halogens in the past, and wanted to get that little hint of lime green this time around.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

4. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Not true at all... I have HID H11s in my fogs and don't blind anyone. They make a huge difference when driving... but you can aim them so that you aren't "that guy". I have never had issues seeing the road after I converted both heads and fogs to HID H11s. But for future reference the OEM PC4 fogs are H16. Not H11. There difference is that the H16 is 35w and the H11 is 55w.

5. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
  6. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for clarifying ztanos. The exact color I'm looking for isn't found in the picture you posted. I'm looking more for a slight lime tint, but the light thrown out is still mostly yellow (I still want the functionality of yellow fogs after all). Below is what I'm talking about. I've only seen it in person a few times.[​IMG]

Don't know if anyone has ever achieved this here, but I'm really hoping to be a bit more unique than most golden yellow fogs.

Perhaps get green HIDs and put a golden yellow film over the lens??

Edit: ztanos, do you happen to have pics of your current set up (cut-off lines and all with HIDs on OEM projectors, HID fogs and what not). If it's relatively safe of a light pattern, I wouldn't mind getting a set of HIDs.

Edit 2: Just found this youtube video, where the poster mentions using yellow lens film matched with a blue bulb. Any thoughts?

7. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    [​IMG]
    W/out fogs

[​IMG]
    W/ Fogs

Nel likes this.
  8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'll try to take a better picture this weekend that gets the broad spectrum and one from the outside, but as you can see, the headlights are higher than the fogs.

9. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    wow the fogs have a clean cut off! Are those the OEM fogs? Please say yes, because my dad ordered the OEM ones. I was dearly worried about a spray of stray light going all over the place from the reflector housing in the fogs.

Back to the coloring issue: apparently it's relatively common for people to mix bulb colors with lens color to achieve unique light output. In order to get the lime tint I'm thinking about, some people have mentioned the following setups:

1) Yellow lens w/ 6000K or 8000K bulbs
    2) Blue lens w/ 3000K bulbs

Do either of these methods sound reasonable to attain the lime tint? And if so, would 6000K be blue enough to produce that hint of lime?

edit: ztanos, did your kit come from DDM or another supplier?

10. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    These are the OEM lens with the HID kit.

I got the kits from this seller Reg Single beam kit, Bulbs items in HID Direct store on eBay! . I have been using him for years. These are the ballasts I have been using for over 8 years now. When I got the PC4 I bought new bulbs. But other than that, they are great.

11. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just checked their kit, and it says not compatible with 2013 Prius C... hmm?? It's this item:
    6000K 8000K 10000K HID Light Kit 9006 9007 H1 H4 H7 H11 | eBay

I wouldn't mind trying his items since you've had such a long lasting success with them.

12. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just PM him and he will set you up. He has sent me free cables when I had a wild fan accident in my Saturn.

13. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'll probably shoot a PM to him next week. Apparently, we have a set of H11 HIDs somewhere in the garage in 6000K. I'll try those on with some Laminx yellow spray to see if I get my desired results before I purchase another set.

The OEM fogs also just came in today. Apparently they're H16... with PLASTIC lens... is that the case for you, ztanos?

14. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes. I used H11 in 6k. Has a tinge of blue, but mostly white.

15. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And h11 and h16 are interchangeable??

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

16. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes.

Nel likes this.
  17. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    interesting... why the different nomenclature to begin with?

Wish there was a "thanks" button like my other forum (XDA-dev), but a like will have to do for now ;)

18. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    They are different bulbs. H11 burns hotter than the H16. It's just like the 9005 and 9006. They will both fit in the same socket as well, but are different wattages.

19. Nel

Nel Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Brief tangent about lighting source!

My friend currently uses LEDs to power his fogs on his FRS. They look strong enough to be comparable to halogens at the least. He also mentions they run cooler than HIDs, which is a big deal for me because I plan on staining the lens on my fogs (they are plastic btw; will that be a bad idea since they're not glass?).

Any opinions on LED fogs?

20. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    LEDs can run either hotter or cooler. They don't have a rating for their heat, but some are built with on-board heatsinks. Purchasing them can be a crapshoot on if they run hot or not (or at least in my experience).

Staining shouldn't be an issue, as long as you use plastic tinting. You could always go with the 3k bulbs though, they are pretty close to what you are looking for. Would definitely require less tinting.