1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need someone to install 12v auxiliary battery for me

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DeStewart, Oct 19, 2012.

1. DeStewart

DeStewart New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 12v auxiliary battery went kaput, leaving my 2009 Prius stuck in my garage. I tried jump-starting it -- no luck. I bought a new Optima Yellowtop battery, but I don't have the DIY skills to install it myself.

I live in Wheaton, a suburb of Chicago. Does anyone have a suggestion for whom I could contact to install the new battery on-site in my garage? Towing it would be expensive. My preference would be to pay someone to install the battery without towing the car.

Advance thanks for your suggestions!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any local garages/gas station mechanics? they will usually do this. or you can jump it from under the hood to drive it somewhere.

3. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In this day and age finding someone that will make a housecall is going to be tough. I'd suggest calling local garages and explaining the situation and see if they will send someone out. If their answer is no then ask if anyone there moonlights. You could also try a posting on Craigslist.

If you can not find someone and do need to tow it sign up first for AAA. It should be less than the cost of the tow and you will then have an added year of roadside service.

4. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Honestly, a 10mm socket wrench is the only tool needed, just remove the rear carpet and the storage box cover, storage box, now the cover over the battery and now, first, the positive terminal, then negative, then the device holding the battery down, switch batteries and hook up the new one, ah, you need a 10mm spanner for the negative battery terminal.
    I'd suggest at least taking out the carpet and storage box and looking, it's not that difficult and then you can decide for yourself.

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The above is correct except for one small detail.

The negative terminal should always be undone first, (except in rare circumstances where the car is positive ground) this is to avoid the possibility of a short to ground of the positive terminal with the tool you are using causing possible burns to you or fire in the car.

The positive terminal is under the red plastic cover (there to protect it from being shorted to ground).

Do not let this put you off doing it yourself I know what I have just said is alarming but if you do things in the methodically and in the correct order you will be fine. Take a few pictures before you start this will remind you where things fit. Reconnect the negative terminal last.

6. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The AAA charges an additional fee for same day service for new members, but it would still probably be worth doing.

"Same Day Service Fee.
    "AAA will charge an additional non-refundable Same Day Service Fee of $35 if roadside assistance is requested the same day a member joins..."

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, since it's already been 5 days since the post, he could join tomorrow and wait til friday for the tow.(y)

ftl likes this.
  8. The biggest fear of anyone working on a car the first time is breaking it. It is really hard to break. Just work carefully. I think the optima comes with instructions. I'll bet also, there are several mechanic hobbyist living in your neighborhood! Just ask them.

9. Jason dinAlt

Jason dinAlt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One more point - when connecting the new battery, the order is reversed - connect the hot terminal first.