1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Suggestions....

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Rangerdavid, Dec 4, 2006.

1. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have worked for small, medium, and large business throughout my careers. I have been on both sides of the coin (management and peon)...

You have a very small office where people get to know eachother. Since actually early and late will cover those ends when days go long or start early, you can have the best of both worlds... With even ten people it is far more difficult to manage on an individual basis and by the time you have twenty you simply can't realistically do it anymore.

In general, happy employees are better workers, until and unless they begin to take advantage of the system. If they were not good workers, in a group that small, you wouldn't retain them in the first place so I would suggest allowing it while you have the ability to be hands on and simply make sure you check up on them once in awhile to keep them honest in a way that presents your actual cariung about them in addition to your keeping an eye on the payroll.

Teamwork, properly managed, is more efficient than individual superstars. Improperly managed it is a nightmare.

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Dec 5 2006, 02:17 PM) [snapback]357993[/snapback]</div>
    I was in that situation, I was the only one (aside from my boss), who had atypical hours, thing is, we were the most "expert" group who brought in the most revenue... :ph34r: Then again, the other side of the coin is we were there when no one else was (think Friday nights at 6 pm while everyone was long gone), so no one really complained. Plus, the other folks had better things to do than resort to being "petty" about the issue... As someone else mentioned, office chemistry is a factor too...

3. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think that if all of your employees are doing a bang up job, earning their keep and working efficiently; allow for flex time. You'll be building loyalty and promoting a pleasant working environment which will promote productivity.

I would at least caution that you should probably set some boundaries up front. Because you are allowing for flexibility, they may perceive that all of a sudden it matters not if they start arriving to work late as long as they make it up and work later, etc.

I also like the idea of qualifying their new times as a trial basis. This gives you an out if things don't go well and it will probably also prompt them to ensure that they work harder to make the transition peaceful.

4. ohgreys

ohgreys New Member

You've had lots of good replies here but I'll add my $.02 as well. The last two places I've worked have offered what I call "scheduled flextime." That is, the hours didn't have to be 8-5 but we did have to pick a schedule and stick with it. It sounds like you are headed in that direction, which is good. Just be sure, however, that your employees understand that those are their schedules and, for instance, the 8-5 person doesn't think that it is okay to be a little late and work 8:15-5:15 on a regular basis because s/he normally "comes in early." Once in a while isn't a big deal, of course.

5. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Excellent responses all !!!

As I've been researching this idea, here's what's been in the new recently that Best Buy is instituting for their employees:

http://www.psfk.com/2005/08/best_buys_bold_.html

http://www.workforce.com/section/09/featur...4/28/index.html

Its called ROWE, results oriented work environment. Don't think i'm ready to go that far, but we do use Centrix so work from remote computers on our office network is possible and already in place. Usually i'm the one who uses it most. I think I could start with the flex start times. On a trial basis. Then see how that works and go from there. I dont think I'm ready to tell folks they can stay home and work, since seeing clients is a major part of what we do, taking phone calls, etc.......

6. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One more point to consider, especially if you're in an urban area, is that flex time "diffuses" rush hour over a wider span of time. Your early & late employees may enjoy somewhat more relaxed and speedier commutes as a result, and, infinitesimally, ease the commutes of everyone else by not adding their congestion to the main body of traffic congestion. While one small company going flex can't make much difference, if the trend spreads and becomes more accepted as "normal," the entire community benefits by everyone's commute being eased a bit.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

7. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Thank you all very much. These are really some excellent suggestions from perspectives of both owners, bosses, and employees. We have implemented a saggered start time system which began today. We now have starting times of 8, 8:30, and 9 a.m. and naturally have people getting off at 5, 5:30, and 6 p.m. All overtime must be pre-approved by either office manager or me.

I really like Walker1's suggestion of 3 months no late or absences and earn 1 day off with pay. I'm going to discuss that with my office manager (wife) tomorrow. We are doing this on a trial basis for 2 months. What I'm considering (down the road) is even more of a results oriented work day where a paralegal, who has no client appointments but computer work to do, can work, for example 1/2 a day from home on the computer (centrix) and the other 1/2 at the office so he/she can return calls, etc.

I'm staying out of the lunch hour scheduling and so is my office manager. I told them they had to stagger lunches so the reception and phones were covered, but other than that its up to them. Also, if someone has to leave early for a child's play at school and another employee can cover their position, I'm staying out of that as well. Its almost Republican (hehehe) in nature, claiming "less government" and more employee freedom. We'll see how it works. But the work has to get done, clients have to be satisfied, and our work product has to continue to be up to standards.

This has opened my eyes a bit, as I was really only used to the stoggey 9-5 law office. Perhaps some of the "new" ideas in human resources can work in a traditional, professional, services oriented business. Time will tell.

Thank you all again, very very much. :D :D

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Dec 5 2006, 07:25 PM) [snapback]358245[/snapback]</div>

excellent point Mark!! and one in keeping with the theme of this forum

9. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two