1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need to access rear shock

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Ron J, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Ron J

Ron J New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a rattle/knocking coming from the drivers side rear shock where it attaches to the frame. Does anyone know how to remove the interior plastic panel to expose this so I can assess it? It’s the plastic panel that the rear seat belt lies on when not in use. I don’t want to crack it.

Thanks.

2. Gary Boates

Gary Boates Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same problem and there is a TSB out for this issue. The TSB states 1.6 hours labor to remove interior and access nut. I bought two shock nuts and am currently shopping around. Another toyota dealer thinks they can access the top of the shock by removing the rear wheel... stand by.

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Bulletin T-SB-0144-16 Rev1 directs the technician to the Repair Manual (more info) procedure under Suspension: Rear Suspension: Rear Shock Absorber: Removal, which says to remove the rear wheel and, for the left side, the rear floor side member cover LH, or for the right side, the No. 1 floor under cover assembly. No interior disassembly is required.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Ron J

Ron J New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    thanks for the replies. I purchased the two day TSI and will fix it this weekend. I’ll let you know how it goes.