1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need to clean your cabin air circulation filter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jack 06, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Today I had to clean my house air intake filter, which reminded me of my Prius filter.

Do some owners' dealers do this---without being asked---when they do scheduled service for you?

It used to be in the owners' manual for the '01 (at least) that it WAS part of the regular service (oil change, tire rotation, clean filter)---but my dealer kept overlooking it. So now I have to remind myself.

(Really need to give myself a tickle on a calendar...where IS that calendar?...oh, you say people tickle themselves with their COMPUTERS?...well, I'll be darned...
    mumble mumble...)

2. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How often should you clean it?

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can clean the filter any time by giving it a quick vacuum. I think the maintenance schedule calls for replacement at 15K miles, but I don't have the booklet in front of me.

Jack, you can set a reminder from the Maintenance screen on the MFD as a personal reminder, by miles or time.

4. gnagel

gnagel New Member

I never understood the need for a cabin air filter. It seems like it just creates one more maintenance expense.

Most of the time I'm driving with my windows rolled down. I'm assuming that since the car doesn't have gigantic cabin air filters that cover all of the windows, I must be getting a real bad dose of open air.

:rolleyes:

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You'll be amazed and perhaps disgusted if you clean it. Bugs and pollen seem to make up most of the filth, but there's a good bit of black from exhaust on mine too. And if you didn't have the filter, all that rich organic mulch would be in the bottom of your air conditioner, feeding all sorts of mold and mildew.

I really like having a cabin air filter. It's easy to clean and replace in the Prius, too. And you don't have to buy filter media from the Toyota dealer. No weird shape, just a square, easily cut from bulk filter media.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

keeps bugs and diesel soot from coating the fins in the heater core and A/C evaporator. The thicker the coating on these components the less efficient they become and also become a breading ground for mold and mildew.

7. Frank Hudon

how was that for 1 minute of time. Spray the filter media with Fantastic or some other cleaner and rinse in hot water let dry and spray with Lysol and reinstall.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    my husband took it out and cleaned it with an airhose. easy.

9. Frank Hudon

that just gets rid of the bugs and leaves but leaves the oily soot still there and that's what the washing gets rid of. The Lysol to kill bacteria. I blow it dry with compressed air after I wash it.

10. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

You're right, Frank. It's that invisible, mildly greasy (same as the body oil you get on stuff you touch in your home) soot that's potentially most damaging.

The Toyota contraption strikes me as midway between primitive and very useful---in other words, slightly better than nothing. Once you see what's trapped in it, you'll probably want to keep it clean.

inventor00: no good answer to that. As needed. Doesn't take much time to at least look at it. On the Gen 1s, it was supposed to be the dealer's responsibility to clean it every 7,500 mi. (the oil change interval then). I'd want to look at it no longer than every 3-4K, or about two months if you don't drive much.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, it costs $32.95 at Toyota but the one from MicronAir at Canadian Tire costs $20.

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

good point about the oily stuff.

however, i'm not too worked up about the bacteria. (and yes. i have taken microbiology classes.)

what :blink: you think they're going to do much to me while sitting on an air filter?

and heck, being outside, you'd breathe them in anyway. i have a good relationship with my immune system. i trust it ;)

13. Frank Hudon

so you like mould spores living in the moist enviroment of your heater/cooling system. Me not.

14. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

:( C'mon, galaxee we don't wanna lose ya.

We know you're tough, the way you hammered that so-called car expert. :lol:

Would you put your trusty immune system up against legionnaire's disease, or ebola?

15. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we all breathe that stuff in anyways walking to the car, and even between the car and the building we work in... and between the car and the grocery store.

science has taught me to not be paranoid... which almost seems backwards. i guess it's hard to explain.

my last car had no such thing as a cabin air filter and i'm still alive and kicking. ;)

16. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

B)

17. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I don't know much about microbiology but I believe if we get too clean our immune system gets lazy. I too didn't ever have a filter system in my other cars and never got sick from it. In fact I've only been sick about 3 times in the last 5 years. Growing up, my parents kept the house so spotless and I would be sick at least once a year.

I do like that the filter helps block exhaust soot and I have an Ionic Breeze filter mostly for the smell. I will probably wash the filter every 3 months or so but I'm not going to loose sleep over it.

18. Frank Hudon

the most common form of mold in B.C. is Stachybotrys and it has been found in car and truck A/C units because of condensation in the heater housing and gets blown thru out the vehicle. This is a major problem here in poorly constructed hi-rise appartment buildings. But is so common that it is every where now. I worked in the scrap car industry for 6 years and if you could see what I've seen in heater housings you would probably wear a particle mask when you drive. Used to take out all the heater cores to salvage the lead solder that holds them together. They get bundled up in huge blocks and put in a furnace and then rotated to allow all the lead to run out. Most times the copper is thrown out as it's tinned with the lead and worthless in the metal markets. Mold isn't good for people and especially those with asthma. But enjoy your mold spores but I'm not.

19. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    frank, i'm not criticizing you by any means. i'm just saying i personally won't be going through all that effort to keep my air filter clean...

thing about mold spores is, they can cause allergies and exacerbate already-existing hypersensitivities (asthma) but it's not like they can grow in the body. i'm not that worried, really.

20. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Uh, I'd like to dress up as a mold spore for trick or treating tonight. But I couldn't find a mold spore costume at Wa, er, Target.

galaxee, can you post a picture of one?