1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need to jump start every time I it shut down

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bahman, Feb 26, 2022.

1. bahman

bahman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Greetings Prius Gurus,

Have 2005 which I maintain myself basically (except for change of main battery which was done ~75k miles ago). I changed the inverter coolant pump, plugs, coils, and water pump and secondary battery (this very recently). Runs great for 240k. Problem is for some reason each time i want to drive it i must jump it at the fuse box. For some reason, for the last 4 months (don't use it that much - 2-3x per wk) nothing comes on when using the fob. Doors won't open, no dash lights, etc. Press start with brake - nada - even with fob in slot.. Have to jump fuse box every time with small costco portable auto battery jumper and must have key in slot each time after I turn it off.. My reckoning:
    1) on-line replacement key fob I purchased is faulty? Installed new fob battery but no help. I think once right after I drove it and shut it down, I immediately used the fob it worked, no need to even be in the slot. but that was only 1-2x that it actually worked normally.
    2) the "key" button under the steering wheel is wrong position? Think it has something to do with the alarm or auto-fob? Tried it in both positions but didn't provide remedy.
    3) Something is staying powered on after shutdown and consuming battery energy?

Question: How can I see if in fact it is #3 above (most likely) something is sapping the battery despite turning car off? i have a lower-end Zurich hand-held diagnostic machine I use for reading, deleting errors codes. I think it has some electrical diagnostic capability as well. Think I can use that in this particular instance? Any pointers on what sequence of troubleshooting steps I should try? Or did anyone have any specific experience with this fault and give me a cut-to-the chase instruction?

As always, many thanks in advance. Love my old 2005! I also have a 2010, 2015, and 2017 Prime. Love em' all but as they say - nothing like the first time! :) 2005 got me hooked.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You have a loss of 12v power. Either the battery has failed, a connection has failed, or a fusible link is open at the battery + terminal. This should be a 5 minute job to determine the cause, if you have a multi-meter.

Start with the obvious first.
    Is the 12v battery good? (located in the trunk, passenger side)
    Are the connections to the 12v battery good? + and - terminals, and where the - cable attaches to the car body.
    Is the main cable completely plugged in at the 12v + terminal assembly?
    If the 12v battery is good, and voltage measures good at the battery terminals, what voltage do you get if you measure at the jump point?

The 12v battery has a fusible link assembly connected at the + terminal. The heavy cable plugged into this assembly is the same cable connected to the jump point. If you have a good battery, but no power at the jump point, then either the fusible link has blown or there is a faulty connection in that area.

rRubiks and jerrymildred like this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When car shuts down, watch the sequence of the shut down on the speedometer panel aka: combination meter... If the last thing to go out on that screen is the shift indicator then the sequence is working correctly. But if the whole screen goes blank all it once and you lose power to dome lights and door locks, it has to do with a known problem with how the vehicle shuts down, likely a loose connection in the electronics that sit on top of 12v battery. It seems to get worse as your 12v gets older too.