1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need to replace a/c compressor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ecomind2020, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Ecomind2020

Ecomind2020 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My daughter went 4-wheeling in our 2005 Prius and ripped all the tubes out of the a/c compressor. Mechanic says compressor needs to be replaced because can't just re-attach tubes. Can't afford new $3,000 Toyota a/c compressor but live in Hawaii and need a/c. Can used or non-Toyota a/c compressor be installed? If so, who can recharge it. Mechanic also said that Toyota dealer is only one who can recharge Prius a/c systems. Probably not true on mainland but might be true on Hawaii Island... Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Rob your daughters college fund.

3. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Check Rockauto, they have compressors for $500. Something to make sure of if you're not having a Toyota dealer install/charge it is that they use the right oil. Because the compressor is driven by an electric motor instead of the engine directly, it needs special oil or the motor will burn up. You might be able to have an independent shop install it and the dealer charge it, if necessary.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is tricky, be careful.

5. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I hope there isn't more damage. I don't know how miles you have, but its a 10 year old car. Your nearing the practical end of life. You could make it till spring without air, sell the car cheap, and pickup a 2016. By then you could probably pickup a reprogrammed VW diesel cheap. Nobody will want them. Good luck and post your results and pictures to.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Yes, you could have a used AC compressor installed.
    2. If you cannot find a mechanic on the Big Island who can work on Prius AC systems, will the local Toyota dealer install a used compressor?
    3. If the answer to #2 is no, then it is time for you and/or your daughter to learn how to DIY. Buy a set of manifold gauges, a vacuum pump, get the R-134a refrigerant, and subscribe to techinfo.toyota.com to get the factory repair manual info. Could be a good father/daughter project and it might encourage her to be more careful when driving in the future.

Good luck.

7. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm not sure I'd call this sage financial advice. Instead of spending $3,000 (on the high end) to repair a car you already own outright and has not other listed issues, spend $30,000 on a new car instead. I'm no mathematician, but I think $3,000 is probably considerably less than $30,000. And even if his car was falling apart at the seams, it would take quite a long time to rack up $30,000 in repairs.

I'd take Patrick's advice, fyi.