1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need to replace key cylinder on drivers side door

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Foxafire, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Foxafire

Foxafire New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The door was pulled off by a semi and we found a perfect replacement door, but the key cylinder was bent. I think we could probably straighten it as we have a welder, but it looks like it may be hard to put it into the door, we got it out easily from our peeled apart door but it doesn't look like there is a good way to get to it in the fully intact door. Has anyone every done this? Photos of bent cylinder attached...maybe we can just remove the lock cylinder from the rest of it?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you can buy another one from a wrecking yard or ebay. Just need to have a key with it (which you probably won't ever use)

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Go grab a cylinder out of another car I have one here if you need it The cylinder you have out of the perfect door I'm assuming you have the key The key number that the locksmith needs is on that cylinder I'm looking at part of it I think right now in your picture or it's there somewhere usually it's four digits or a letter with a letter. Or something like that you take the cylinder you get that straight out of another car the cylinder you have bent with the key that you have that works the bent cylinder and for about $25 or less in my town the locksmith will transfer your cuts of the key you have for the bent lock to the cylinder that doesn't have anything bent maybe even $12 if he knows you it won't take him but a minute you might could do it yourself I know my wife can do this stuff to a lot of locks from her previous job I don't know if she's done a Toyota cylinder from a Prius but generally not too difficult

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You should buy another one with a different key anyway, because one of the photos you posted has exposed the key number on that one to the internet.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  5. freebird1

freebird1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I need to get new manual key made that matches door lock

In this post there's number on cylinder is that all needed to give locksmith or need to take that part to locksmith

How do they make key with number and Prius year model
    Is that unique not match other same year Prius models

6. freebird1

freebird1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The number on the side of the lock cylinder is a code and it tells which way the inside pieces are fitted which in turn relates to a cut on the key A locksmith can also make changes to that so the one that you showed the picture of on the internet your locksmith can make a change to one or two of the things and make the numbers different if you will you'll have a different cut key but anyway for the sake of all the funny business take one out of the door and don't show the lock cylinder number on the internet take it to a locksmith and he'll make you a key in short order 10 minutes at best at least that's my experience here at Don hills lock and gun shop.

freebird1 likes this.
  8. freebird1

freebird1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you