1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need to replace steering wheel Toyota logo/emblem/badge; how do I remove the airbag cover?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SRQ, Feb 26, 2020.

1. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've looked around and have been unable to find a how-to. And I'm not interested in poking around on my own near the airbag.

Also, where can I find a new logo/emblem/badge to buy? Apparently they are all different sizes and I threw my old badge away, so I can't measure it (and the car is not even in the same city as me right now). I was thinking about installing a unique one if I could find out the dimensions.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I always tell people to go to junk yards where you pull your own parts, that way you can practice on removing and replacing. As for air bag I'm fairly certain that if you disconnect the 12v you've disabled the air bag system... But I'm not sure why you'd need to take anything apart. Just bust what remains of the old one off and epoxy on a new one...

ydpplqbd likes this.
  3. SRQ

SRQ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It seems like removal of this part can only be done destructively, which makes a trip to the yard unnecessary. I just want to replace my chipped/worn out badge :(

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, if it's just chipped and worn and not busted, then just resurface it with sand paper and some detail files and then paint it whatever color you want. Plastic-Dip / peel-able spray paint is how I'd do it... This is a perfect weekend project that you'll enjoy every time you look down at it for years to come. And it's such a small project you really don't have to remove anything, just mask off what you don't want painted.