1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need to reprogram key fob

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by mkg605, Apr 28, 2017.

1. mkg605

mkg605 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2007 Prius and installed my own radio. I had the battery unplugged for several hours since I was doing wiring stuff, and now my fobs won't work. I called a dealership and they said the car pushed out the programming and I need to pay them $130 to fix it and reprogram it. All I can seem to find is programming a fob when you still have one that works. Both of mine stopped working because the battery was apparently unplugged for too long. This is also a non-sks key

I also heard that I need to verify that the car is mine with the title. Since I bought the car recently, I don't have the title in my name yet. My mom also told me that I needed to put her address to get insurance under her name (although I live on my own) and therefore my license would say a different address than the title would. Would that be a huge problem, or can I bring in a bill that has my name and my mom's address and pretend that the address on my license is old?

And, basically, is there any way that I can get around paying the dealership to reprogram my keys. I hear "Don't lose them or it will cost you" so it makes me mad that I DIDN'T lose them, but I still need to fork over a ton of money for this. Is there a do-it-yourself program that I can do without the master key?

Thanks in advance!

2. Shaun_Collins

Shaun_Collins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Without Mini VCI TIS / Techstream and the required cable on a laptop you are in trouble.

See this:MagiDeal Mini VCI TIS Techstream 16PIN OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Cable Tool for TOYOTA

LG-H918 ?

3. Shaun_Collins

Shaun_Collins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That link looks like Tapatalk did not like it. Just search for Mini VCI 16 pin on Amazon. The process in the software is capable of what you need. You also need a 2006 FSM (Factory Service Manual) there is not one for '07.

LG-H918 ?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There shouldn't be a need for a title at the dealer, your keyfob still starts the car, just lost the lock unlock function

SM-N900P ?

RCO likes this.
  5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are locksmiths who can handle keyfob programming like your situation. Good chance they're cheaper than a dealer. One national chain to check out is "Pop-A-Lock".