1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

need toyota mechanic expertise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Matt Herring, May 26, 2010.

1. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I picked up a new 2010 on Saturday and returned to the dealership today to pick up the reg and get the car inspected. The reverse beep and seat belt beep is a pain in the backside so I asked the tech to eliminate the seat belt beep and put the rev beep on single chime.

The service manager came over and told me it
    was against state law to do it...whatever. I showed him in the manual its a preference but has to be done by a toyota tech. He then backpedals and tells me they don't know how to do the reverse beep because they can't find the code but they can do the seat belt beep...donkeys.

Any toyota techs out there that can give me specific instructions to tell them how to make the rev beep a single beep and not constant using their super cool gadget that we can't do by ourselves anymore?

Thanks for your help in advance toyota techs!

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Reverse beeps can be disabled by use of a ScanGuage. I will look for the link.

3. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm aware of the scanguage hack but thanks for posting. Looking for info to give to the toyota tech so he can do it at the shop with his own equipment

4. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What? The dealer doesn't have internet access or a Toyota rep to call? Anyway, the Prius has been out for almost a year, so I can't believe they've never reprogrammed the reverse beep. Since the service manager lied to you right out of the gate, I recommend changing dealers anyway.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There is, of course, no requirement for a reverse beeper, especially one that only sounds inside the car.

There is a NHTSA requirement for a front seatbelt unfastened beeper. There was a link to the NHTSA regulation on here but the link doesn't work any more. You may be able to find the regulation you search long enough, if you come across it please post another link. The document, as I recall, stated that the seatbelt beep would sound for 6 seconds and a flashing warning would be displayed on the dash board. It does exactly that if the seat belt beeper is turned off, what you turn off is all the extra, not required, beeps that Toyota puts in to keep us "really safe". Toyota would never give us a customizable option to disable any safety feature that is required.

6. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suggest finding a more competent service department, obviously very uneducated about the equipment at their dealership. He'll need to hook up Techstream and connect it to the vehicle, then on the left hand side click the blue cirlce that says "Customize Setting". Then go into the appropriate categories and change your desired settings. Very simple, and don't let them charge you for it.

7. HypnoDave

HypnoDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You are located in MA. I don't know if we can name dealers, but we purchased our Prius in Acton, and they had no problems making those changes, and did it no charge. Hope that helps.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There are about 16 dealers within 30 miles of you. I would find one that knows their stuff and reward them with your business.

9. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have only one beep when i put mine into reverse. i had my dealer do it.

10. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Story with a happy ending...

Took the car to Toyota today to get the inspection, rev beep and seat belt beep altered...I came armed with my manual to show them it's a customizable option.

Of course, the service tech tells me "it's against the law to alter the seat belt system." Hogwash...show him the manual...he calls over the boss...I play tough guy...they agree they can do it.

Just being a little pushy will usually get you what you want...as long as you're doing it for good and not evil! Come to find out...their techs had never performed the beep deletes before so the "it's against the law" comment was most likely in response to actually not knowing how to do it. As I left the service guy told me "thanks" for bringing it up because he wants to do it on his own car.

Thanks for the advice on here...appreciate the help!

11. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And...FYI...was not charged for the inspection (since it was a new car purchased from them) or the labor for deleting the beeps. Don't let 'em charge you a dime for any of it...especially if you bought your car from them!

12. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This beep should be in the settings menu so we can easily select "on" or "off".

13. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Eoin...

If you find the user controlled setting where you can disable the seat belt beep and disable/reduce to one chime the reverse beep...you'd be the first to do it without the use of a SGII.

The Gen II model allowed users to alter the beeps...but not the Gen III model. You need one of those $8000 gadgets the service techs have to do it.

14. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know that. I mean "should" in the sense that Toyoto "should" have designed it that way.

15. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah...got ya...but yes it is ridiculous it's not a user option in the Gen III mode...no reason for it other than an annoyance for the owner.

16. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Please remember this incident when it is time to complete the Customer Satisfaction Survey. Maybe if enough of us complain often enough Toyota will see the light & make them OWNER customizable settings. IMO there is no good reason for the way they did it.