1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need urgent help with back windshield

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ofraz, Feb 28, 2022.

1. ofraz

ofraz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The back windshield of my 2011 prius starting vibrating/rattling last night. I know the only proper fix is to take the whole glass off and re-seat it again after applying the adhesive.
    What i need is at least a month long temporary fix which would stop it from rattling and/or make it reasonably weatherproof.
    P.S. only 1 corner (upper left side) is detached.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you should just get it to an autoglass shop and have them reglue the entire thing back on there. You don't want to do partial work and make it harder to do it correctly later. It won't cost that much to redo/reinstall the glass

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    The cheap route would be clear silicone

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder how that happened. It's a thing I've never heard of!

5. ofraz

ofraz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    wish i knew. upon closer inspection, i did find out that that the adhesive bead was laid in "sections" (not a single bead going around the glass). 1 of the sections has broken free of the metal. there is no adhesive sticking to the metal, it's all sticking to the glass. I also did not see any primer under the adhesive.

is there any way of checking if the windshield came with the car or was replaced be a previous owner? and if the glass is OEM, is toyota liable to fix it free of charge (car is obviously not under warranty anymore)?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unlikely, but it never hurts to ask. dealer might know from the glass code if it is original, not sure if an oem replacement gets the same code or not.

7. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I had a tree limb fall through the rear window of a 2005. I think it cost me about $200 at safelite to have it replaced. Perhaps they could reseal one for half or 2/3 the price?

wow, never mind. I just ran that car through safelite again and it's showing about $450 now. Must be supply chain ...

8. ofraz

ofraz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    got the glass resealed at a-line auto glass for $195. safelite and others that i called refused to work on the same glass, instead saying that they can only put in new glass which would be over $400. figured out what went wrong, when some previous owner had the hatch replaced and painted, the paint gave up and was stuck to the adhesive.