1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need wheel bearing help!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by scottwg5233, Nov 5, 2012.

1. scottwg5233

scottwg5233 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2006 prius whith a bad right front wheel bearing. I checked prices and the cheapest is about $500.00 for one hub. Shop said it listed about 31/2 hours for the job so the labor cost is really high on this. I can get the part for around $100. Queation is-- What takes 31/2 hours for one side? Is there something I am missing difficulty wise? I have access to good tools and air impacts and THINK I have the skills so unless there is some special tools required I would have everything I need. Car has 91,000 so I am only looking at doing the faulty side (right/passenger). Are there any good, detailed links on this that soemone can point me to or any advice? I have not found much info. Thanks.​

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/2006-wheel-bearing-help.117724/#ixzz2BOo3jB45

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, that's really high. Basically you need a wheel bearing tool set like this on form Harbor Freight;

FWD Front Wheel Bearing Adapters

You'll also need a hub nut socket, a long breaker bar and a 250 ft. lb. torque wrench.

It's all about having the right tools.

Personally, as a machinst, I would have any trouble making a purposebuilt specific set for my car.

3. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  4. joetho

joetho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    be careful that the info you are looking at is for a 2006, or whatever generation that is. The bearings and hubs vary with the older generations. Mine is a 2002, mentioned in that thread "I'm in it now"

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    On the gen2 the bearing and carrier are normally replaced as a complete unit held by four bolts to the hub no special tools required.

Be careful not to damage the wheel speed censor when dismantling and make sure it is aligned correctly when reassembling.

6. scottwg5233

scottwg5233 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Had the wheel bearing changed yesterday by a shop that I trust. They charged $525.00 including taxes. Dealership wanted $650.00. Works great and has no noise. Only changed the one side (passenger). Driver's side is fine for now and I have no reason to suspect it will go out soon. Did not feel the need to change them both out.

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Most every car I have owned have bearing that last the life of the car, except those older rear wheel cars that had bearings that disassembled like the tapered roller ones now found on trailers.

I hated taking the car to the shop in a state that required 6 months or yearly mandatory inspections. Almost always, the mechanic was sloppy and worked in a less than clean environemnt. I almost always did my own bearing service, until one time that I decided to let a friend, who owned a shop do it. The bearings had 150k on them and were in excellent condition when last serviced. I had to replace the after my friend's service after another 10K miles. So, I do my own service whenever possible.

Don't worry. The driver's side bearing will more likely than not last the life of the car.

8. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My '06 had the right front wheel bearings go at 40k, replaced both, yes bearings shouldn't die but the gen 2 prii seem to need them more then most cars, the noise was horrendous, just replaced my steering wrack, it had disintegrated, what'ca make on the pop corn you lose on the peanuts.