1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Wiring Diagram for installing switch Prius gen.III

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ToyotaSynergy, Mar 20, 2013.

1. ToyotaSynergy

ToyotaSynergy New Member

Rancho Mirage/El Monte, Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Before I ask anything, I did navigate arround through this forum/site to find a solution to my question and I honestly cant find anything for a wireing Diagram for toyota prius 3rd generation or installing a on & off switch for my lights that light my emblem.
    Im looking for all my options for a constant or not constant power source to install a switch (an on & off toggle/other) for I could have my emblems light up without using headlights or parking ights.
    Basicly for you could only see the emblems on at night.
    I orignally tapped into the side parking lights to use for the front emblems and the rear licence plate lights for back emblem.

Now I want to beable to have them on without having to turn vehicle lights on in any position "parking or head lights".
    Ive been trying to fallow the two positive wires that go to the licence plate lights to the front lower pannel by the driver seat. After having alot of difficulty and frustration pulling apart the panels without damaging them. "I hate pulling panels apart because it always seems that they never go back on the same, when put back together." I stopped after many snaps where not going back in place and loosing them falling into the vehicle.As we all know when you get to the wires by the ebrake pedal theres alot of the same colors so basicly cant locate the wires by color.

What I want to do is find the the two positive wires that go to licence plate lights that are by the driver side fuse box below steering wheel "by ebrake pedal". Cut the wire and redirect a constant power source to the switch to those wires that lead to the rear light icence plate for I dont have to rewire a single wire to the rear plate lights.

I'm already aware about this sight a couple years ago before signing on and Im looking forward to all the newbie responses I'll get or about where to go on the forum to find a solution. HaHa Now I'm in the Newbie hot seat. I'm just a newbie to the forum not a newbie as far as prius owner. But Please let me know if Im doing anything wrong because Im a person that just dives in and do things from the best of my knowledge
    I was trying to keep this short but o-well.

2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So you want to install a switch that turns the license plate bulbs on and off separately from the headlights? I don't think the license plate bulbs use their own fuse. If you do that, every time you turn your lights on, you'll have to flip another switch. And you'll kill your battery if you forget to turn it off. And the headlights/taillights on Prius use some kind of timer-controlled relay that keeps them on and then turns them off after you park the vehicle.

I found Toyota's very detailed instructions for installing an add-on backup camera to a Gen III Prius. You're right, running a wire from the hatch to the dash is a lot of work, especially running a cable through the rubber boot at the top of the hatch. I've done it, and it's a mess. I would just pull power from a taillight or license plate bulb that gets power only when you turn on your headlights.

3. ToyotaSynergy

ToyotaSynergy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I totaly understand what your saying. Maybe I didnt make myself clear or me not knowing anything about how the wires run.
    I was originally going to use another constant or non constant power source (better yet non constant only when car is on) not connected to the light switch and use the existing wire/wires that go straight to the back to the lights for the rear plate. I attempted to remove some panels and roof clips and pull them off but I stopped at the rear left passenger seat, when I realized I was loosing clips and it being difficult. Yes you are right it is a mess and I want to make sure everything gets put back correctly with no noticeable gaps.
    Basicly there is to many colors alike and I couldnt fallow the wire from the rear hatch to the front ebrake pedal. Thats all it is just need to know what wire leads to the plate by color. I know the colors but to many of the same when you get to the front ebrake area.
    Hope this helps. Thanks for your response

4. ToyotaSynergy

ToyotaSynergy New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I finally took care of it. I had to figure it out myself. Just like so many of us do on there own.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  6. Trepp

Trepp New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Instead of simply being part of the problem, wouldn't you agree that closing your post with your solution would be beneficial?