1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Wiring Diagram/Pinout for Rear Lights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Benjamin Goldstein, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Benjamin Goldstein

Benjamin Goldstein New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The wiring harness for the hitch I purchased is not easily plug and play. I have to manually splice it into the rear lights. The problem is that I have no idea which wires go to the following:
    1. Rear left light
    2. Rear left break light
    3. Rear left blinker
    4. Rear right blinker
    The rear left light wiring harness contains 5 wires colored red, blue, green, brown, and black/white. I believe they correspond to tail light, break light, reverse light, left blinker, and ground/power(?) cable. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    As you may know, Toyota recommends against towing with this car (Owner’s Manual (PDF), page 326).

That said, the Electrical Wiring Diagram is available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com. See the Stop Light, Taillight, and Turn Signal and Hazard Warning Light pages in the System Circuit section for the wire colors and connector pinouts, and the Location and Routing section for the general location of each connector.

In brief—and without any analysis of how much additional load (if any) the circuits can support:

Connector R17, Rear Combination Light Assembly LH
    Connector S18, Rear Combination Light Assembly RH

Terminal 1 – Brown – Tail/Marker Light
    Terminal 2 – Blue – Stop (Brake) Light
    Terminal 3 – Yellow (Left) or Green (Right) – Turn Signal
    Terminal 4 – Red – Back-Up Light
    Terminal 5 – White-Black – Ground

---------
    | 1 | 2 |
    ---------
    | 3 | 4 |
    ---------
    | 5 | 6 |
    ---------

Rifaqat Shah likes this.
  3. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    It's in here somewhere... :eek:

Attached Files:

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do not chop up the wiring, go to etrailer and buy the plug and play harness with the extra power supply.

Raytheeagle and padroo like this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Linkys no load.

But it’s the plug and play harness and then buy the extra power supply. The existing light legs will not support the extra load of incandescent tail lights on the trailer so you need extra power supply.

Mine etrailer light system has been installed and running well for 10 years.

6. Cristian Fischer Sauthier

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    hello, how are you, I have a problem with the stop light on my 2017 prius, only the third light is on, the one on the trunk lid, but not the sides, can you tell me the position of the ground wire for the side lights?

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ii could tell you but I sold my manuals when I sold my Prius. But if you plan on keeping the car for a while i highly recommend this awesome factory manual. It has electronic schematics for every device in the car including all ground points and there physical location on the car. I couldn't live without it.

This particular book shown here is a little expensive I have seen them as low as $25 on ebay so look around. Good Luck:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166040185885?hash=item26a8c42c1d:g:W~EAAOSw-W5UwF4u&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8G2MOBZ6dx4gYcbf5%2BQbTJK%2BftDHJBQUXTlf6Jfd1nvMHJ5Jjf8gH57APfWlfs1E%2BC9g%2BbjL4Pp22iLex%2FhqaoonRM%2FTbtkX3C%2B037uviFCGe9nZsjMWE3vP7gVfM8%2F5okDJEB9EKmUU2JsKfkF7uhvVCCtRw1ZBH%2FIVHZGMgAJ8priWFQWkfgFY4GitgrGioCWYo0yWiRPa1SAnROLf9g0WvubyNlFz6oCXuiDe1FoFDFVBaEoDFO%2FQJrffgaESNHRexIVumOTIyYf3Q5XUqKPxM%2FQxmAqrJl88HCFSCvX87OIGdK4rzqXRKnFt%2BPLe8g%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5i-wMeyYg