1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need your engine block heater installed-West of the Mississippi

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FireEngineer, Jul 31, 2007.

1. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They won't work on 240 volt @ 50 hz will they?
    Now if they did and Wayne was coming to Adelaide on his rounds ...

I'll have to give it a miss unfortunately. Only get 2 or 3 frosty nights a year here and no snow so I don't know that it gets cold enough but it would likely provide an advantage in winter and quicker warm ups mean the heater works quicker.

2. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Even in the summer they work well to bring the engine up to temp quickly so that it will shut off - saving gas.

3. alan@radiodesign.com

[email protected] Junior Member

Wayne,

I am in Medford, Oregon and by the looks of your itenerary, should be on your route along I-5 on your way up from the SF Bay area to Portland and Seattle. I'd very much appreciate a stop here for an installation. A meal and a bed would be happily provided. :)

Alan

4. mrbogie

mrbogie New Member

Salina, Kansas is right down I70 if you are heading west just in case you have nothing else to do? :p

5. PhilCase

PhilCase New Member

Hi Wayne:

I'm the friend that Evan mentioned who has already purchased my EBH but hasn't yet installed it. Even tells me you do a great job with your installs, so I'm definately interested in having it done right!

Please let me know when you plan on being down this way (Springfield, MO) and just as Evan said we'll be sure to do a BBQ out on the deck. Between Even and I, we have grilled and smoked about everything ever made (Including Baked Alaska), so let us know you favorites and we'll show you a little Ozarks hospitality.

Phil

6. jswalt2

jswalt2 Junior Member

Wayne:

I live in Palmdale, CA at the Southern edge of the Mojave Desert which is 56 miles North of Los Angeles.

If you come down this way, I'll give you work at installing my Block Heater.

Jay

7. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The block heaters are ready to be shipped and so it's time to lay out the trip. The trip is looking to be a 7,000mile road trip of about 11-14 days. If the heaters ship early enough I will have company with me. 90% my 14 YO daughter will be going, 70% my 15 YO son will be going, less than 40% my wife will be going-an uncle just passed-away yesterday and her mother is sick.

Those heaters that I do bring with I will be pre-preping a few things before I see you, just something I feel makes a better install. I will also bring my materials with me for those that have direct ship. I already have new tires and will be changing my syn-oil just before I leave.

The trip looks like this;

1 Chicago - St. Louis, MO - Nixa, MO

2 Nixa, MO - Oklahoma City, OK - Albuquerque, NM

3 Albuquerque, NM - Chandler, AZ

4 Chandler, AZ - Palmdale, CA - West Hollywood, CA - Long Beach, CA - Oceanside, CA - San Diego, CA

5 San Diego, CA - Cupertino, CA - Fremont, CA

6 Fremont, CA - Medford, OR

7 Medford, OR - Camas, WA - Federal Way, WA - Spokane, WA

8 Spokane, WA - Logan, UT - Salt Lake City, UT

9 Salt Lake City, UT - Evergreen, CO

10 Evergreen, CO - Salina, KS - Mexico, MO

11 Mexico, MO - Davenport, IA - Chicago

I'm really sorry I cannot get to New Orleans or Houston this time, leaving in early August would have allowed me to wander down there too but with school starting for the kids after labor day just can't be done, but maybe later in the year!

For the Minneapolis/St Paul crowd I will come up on a weekend in September after the group install in Milwaukee.

Now, if you notice, this will not be on a weekend for everyone. I will wind up having to go to where your Prius will be parked when I arrive. As long as your Prius is parked so I can pull it up on some ramps it will be a quick job. Only problem is if the Prius has been run within the 45 minutes prior to my arrival. Won't matter if your my last stop, but the hole in the engine block is next to the exhaust manifold and that is the only thing on the Prius that does get HOT, so I have to let it cool first.

I will be PM'ing everyone I know of to give them my cell phone number. And when I leave I will let everyone know the day so you will know where you stand in line.

For those of you that are grouped together; LA-San Diego, Cupertino-Fremont-Bay Area, Evergreen, I would like to try as much as possible to get you together for a group install. I know there are work schedules and such, and I will still do your install, but every bit helps.

Now for your homework. I have places to stay in NIxa, Medford, Spokane(maybe) and Mexico. With the short notice it is hard for me find some place cheap and clean ahead of time. I need your help finding someplace to stay in:

<strike>Albuquerque</strike>
    <strike>Chandler/Phoenix Metro</strike>
    <strike>LA-Metro/San Diego-Metro</strike>
    <strike>Cupertino/Fremont/Bay Area-Metro</strike>
    Salt Lake City
    Evergreen/Denver Metro/Front Range

Also if anyone knows of someplace cheap and clean near Yosemite then I'll add an extra day to take my posse to see the valley and maybe even Tuolumne, it's been a long time since I was there.

I'm trying to be flexable on this trip. Since my kids have never been west of the Rockies, if I have time we will be detouring to see some sights-for instance instead of taking the Interstate from LA/San Diego to the Bay Area we're taking Highway 1. I will let everyone know a time of arrival as best I can, especially the closer it gets. If your worried just call, chances are I'm in the car.

Wayne

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Aug 15 2007, 12:02 PM) [snapback]496218[/snapback]</div>
    Are you talking Wife and kids with you in San Diego? Your schedule doesn't look like any sightseeing or trips here locally. Too bad. We've got some nice spots. And the beach should be lovely this time of year.

Let me talk to my parents to see if they'd be gracious enough to take some overnight guests on my behalf. If there is anyone else beside me in the San Diego area, they can meet at my parents' house for the install. They're in Clairemont, 92111. They are on a cul de sac and have a nice big driveway and outdoor lighting. Would be a good location for PriusclubSD too if we call a last minute meeting.

Any idea what date day 4 would be? Ballpark?

9. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK, I've searched all the posts and through my PM archives. According to my notes I'm missing two people for installs. Oceanside, CA and Davenport, IA. Can someone help.

Wayne

10. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And so the epic travels begin. I am picking up the block heaters for those who have told Danny to do so the morning of Friday the 17th. And then it's time to leave on Saturday the 18th, with the whole family in tow. The schedule is:

18th Saturday - St. Louis, MO and Nixa, MO.

19th Sunday - Oklahoma City, OK and Albuquerque, NM

20th Monday - Grand Canyon, AZ and Chandler, AZ

21st Tuesday - Los Angles, CA and Long Beach, CA and San Diego, CA

22nd Wednesday - Cupertion, CA and San Francisco, CA and Fremont, CA

23rd Thursday - Yosemite

24th Friday - Napa/Kelseyville, CA and Medford, OR

25th Saturday - Camas, WA and Federal Way, WA and Spokane, WA

26th Sunday - Spokane, WA

27th Monday - Logan, UT and Salt Lake City, UT

28th Tuesday - Evergreen, CO

29th Wednesday - Salina, KS and Mexico, MO

30th Thursday - Chicago

Everything until the 21st is set in stone, after that I have some leeway so....if you need some help just let me know. And for those of you who have not responded to my PM, please do so NOW. As of Friday night I will not have computer access.

Looking forward to meeting and seeing everyone soon.

Wayne

11. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We should have a contest for the number of total tanks for Wayne's trip!

I say 10 tanks, averaging 700 miles a tank/~60.x mpg.

Mountains/unknown terrain/ full cargo/ its august/ family not wanting to go 35 mph the entire way.

Will he go for a super mpg tank ?

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(douglas001001 @ Aug 16 2007, 11:13 PM) [snapback]497567[/snapback]</div>

Isn't it all downhill from Chicago to New Mexico? He could coast the entire way.

13. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Aug 16 2007, 07:27 PM) [snapback]497495[/snapback]</div>
    Hope you can pop over to Victoria as well. I PM'ed you about it.

All the best on your trip.

Cheers

Fibb

14. faxman

faxman New Member

Wayne

I am in Winnipeg Manitoba which is technically west of the Mississippi. I am 7 hours north of Minneapolis and two hour from Grand Forks, ND. I could show you some great Canadian hospiltality and throw back a couple of "cold ones" while you work LOL.

Cheers Eh :rolleyes:

15. Philmo

Philmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(douglas001001 @ Aug 16 2007, 10:13 PM) [snapback]497567[/snapback]</div>
    No way, not this time of year, not with 3+ bodies in the car. Lucky to average 55. My average from Colorado to Oregon and back was 53. Posted speeds on a lot of the freeways out west is 75mph. That'll kill the numbers unless you dial it down to 65mph at which point you'll be roadfood for semis.

16. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ***IF YOU ARE HAVING WAYNE INSTALL YOUR EBH READ THIS POST***

If you have confirmed with Wayne that he is visiting you to install your EBH, I need to know. Wayne has 35 units that he is taking around with him for all of the installations he is doing. Right now the entire Group Buy is on hold because I have no idea who is going to get one from Wayne and who is going to need one shipped to them.

Please reply to this thread if Wayne has confirmed with you that he is visiting you to do an EBH install, along with your Google Checkout Order #.

No one else in the Group Buy is going to be able to receive their EBHs until I know who Wayne is doing installs for.

17. ACORNBLUES

ACORNBLUES New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Aug 21 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]499925[/snapback]</div>
    :mellow: ...

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've gotten mine from Wayne, Danny.

19. Alphawolf

Alphawolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Aug 21 2007, 02:55 PM) [snapback]499925[/snapback]</div>
    Well, in case something happens to his plans, or something happens to my plans, and for some reason we can't connect with Wayne, I would rather it be shipped direct to me. That way, at least I can attempt it myself if Wayne and I can't conncet for some weird reason.

My order #:
    Google Order #340548377718964

20. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(philmo @ Aug 17 2007, 06:29 PM) [snapback]498052[/snapback]</div>
    Not true on the "roadfood." We completed our 7,500 mile cross country trip last month, family of four, luggage rack and all. We drove consistently 60 mph and lived to tell about it and no obnoxious greetings from the many who passed us.

PA P