1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Needed: OEM cat c theft deterrent solution; already had 1 stolen

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by peripatetic pri, Apr 12, 2021.

1. peripatetic pri

peripatetic pri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    all. I know there are different after-market solutions out there on the Net, but I can't find any really good testimonials by mechanics, police, tow truck drivers, etc. (e.g., we've installed 300 of these and only had 1 come back, etc. ).
    It needs to be an OEM solution due to complexities of how I'm getting loss covered. Shop won't do welding. They said if they can find something they can bolt in that might work. But needs to be something they can order from the dealer. Called 1 dlr and they said they'd installed 10 anti cat c theft shields (Miller). They say it's 2 hrs labor. Tow truck driver said he's seen thieves get through the shields.
    What is the best prius/Toyota/OEM solution?
    At first I thought painting/engraving would work, but shop has no idea. And I'm kinda stuck bc how am I supposed to paint/engrave once it's already in car?
    Any help appreciated!

2. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

So most of the time, a cat can be stolen in a minute or less. Most of the shields are aluminum. It’s going to take several minutes to cut thru that. If you find a shield made of stainless steel, that’s going to add a few more minutes. Installing a tilt sensor alarm, with the switch mounted inside the car, in addition to the stainless shield is probably your best option. No one option is going to give you 100% converter security.

My employer uses a leased fleet comprised of several hundred 3/4-1 ton vans. Many of the stores have been a combined several hundred times. One store not very far away has been hit 20 times since December. The leasing company ONLY outfits a vehicle after the cat has been stolen, unless they total the van for it, then they WON’T pay for the replacement van to get one. We took delivery of a new van last week, I asked the DM if I should go ahead and get the converter assembly on order for it.

3. pghyndman

pghyndman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Miller has a stainless steel line which also includes ss security bolts (Torx TS27), definitely more work for a thief to get past.

4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just filling the security Torx heads with putty makes for a time consuming tedious job of cleaning out the heads with a micro flat blade screwdriver.

It took me over 40 minutes, yesterday with the correct tools to remove six screws.

I replaced them with the same M6x1.0 screws with those having security Torx 30 heads and regular M6x1.0 button head socket headed cap screws; three of each.

A thief thinking the Torx screws are TS27 might have a slipping problem with the TS30 screw heads. Also a TS27 bit is too large and will not fit the 3mm hex socket on the regular screws.

I also cut off the heads of the aluminum rivets and epoxied them as decoys as shown in my attached photo.
    cat defender front plate rear passenger side mounting 2.JPG

Of course, they could grind the fasteners off, too. But that too is time consuming to the thief.

#4 Georgina Rudkus, Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    schja01 likes this.
  5. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Get a moped/motorcycle alarm and a 12VDC relay. Make sure the alarm utilizes a key fob to activate & deactivate it, about $15 on amazon or ebay.
    The alarm horns are pretty flimsy; so I usually cut them off and wire it to the 12 VDC relay. Use a wire tap to splice into your car horn. Your car horn will be your alarm horn.
    Since the only way to get at your cat is to jack up the car; it'll set-off the tremor switch in that motorcycle alarm.
    You'll have to arm/disarm on that additional fob; but it's a cheap and fairly quick solution (depending on your electronics skill level). The other option is to spend several hundred on an integrated aftermarket alarm system, that has a built-in tremor switch.

Another cheap option is to have a muffler shop weld the exhaust nuts down; so they can't be easily removed. This will likely piss-off the thief; since they went through the trouble of lifting the car. They will more than likely damage the car, as pay-back - remember your dealing with low-life thieves. They're looking for an easy score.

IMHO: etching the cat doesn't work, see above paragraph. It's illegal to sell used cats in Ca; so if the thieves are melting them down for the precious metals within or selling them to a shady operator - Nobody in this loop is going to care that the cat is etched or painted.

tangerino likes this.
  6. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  7. Prim.e.xample

Prim.e.xample Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Is this a nationwide problem? I haven't heard anything about thefts here in Indiana, but I see members posting from SC, TX, and of course CA.

8. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    yeah it seems more in the major metro areas in NY, CA, etc. But its also in Europe like UK. They are going after the early gen 2 cars, but some might not check and just try take off the Gen 3 cars (they will get a nice surprise of coolant liquid also) . I just put one on in case some stupid idiots.

#8 chickenhawk, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  9. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I’m in SW Indiana and my employer has been hit 5 times. Other local businesses have been tagged too. One guy arrested had 12.5k cash and 130 converters in his possession.

10. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It's a problem in Denver too. Pretty sure it's a problem in most major cities. I'm considering installing shields on my vehicles once I have some free time.

11. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Prim.e.xample likes this.
  12. Prim.e.xample

Prim.e.xample Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Wow, that’s crazy. I guess it’s time to start looking for a protector-thingy...

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  13. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    If you order from Miller Cat Shields here is 10% off code

PRIUSOFFROAD10

14. Prime_Time

Prime_Time Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Sorry to slightly hijack but I bought a stainless stee Miller cat shield for our ‘21 Prime and a Toyota Dealership told me I void the warranty if I have it installed outside a dealership. Is this total bs or legit?

15. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I think that's a whole bunch of bs.. Toyota as far as service goes is always after your wallet. You are not drilling or disturbing any systems during the install. One note is you do need to jack the car up quite a bit as the car is pretty low. You can see my post just few post back on my install. If you don't have access to the tools and and jack, and Toyota charges 1 hour labor then ok for them to put it in.

16. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That dealer would be in violation of the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975, as amended, which would require if the shield need to be installed by the dealer must be free of labor charges. Basically, if's like if they are required to do all oil changes or the warranty be voided, they ,must do it at no cost to the owner.

pghyndman, fuzzy1 and chickenhawk like this.
  17. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    You looking at about this high of jacking the car:confused: Mines was slightly lower:cautious: Just make sure you have jack stand not the jack to hold car up

18. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Expensive, but I used Safejacks Rennstands to install mine,

best jackstands.jpg

I did get them when they had a Black Friday Special three years, ago for $100 each plus shipping. So, they were $240 delivered from the Pacific Northwest to South Carolina by two day FedEX.

#18 Georgina Rudkus, Apr 17, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  19. peripatetic pri

peripatetic pri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi all thx for all input. 1. if it's covered (long story) it would be installed by mechanic other than toyota. toyota dlr nr me charging 2 hrs labor + $240 part. Have bn told doesn't req welding and directions provided. 2. If it's not covered I approached a local muffler shop re whether they could do the steel braid proprietary thing done by Art's Automotive in Berkeley. Art's said had done 700 and had only 2 come back. But on other hand of 3 shops i called here no one had had any shielded cars come back.
    Don't think it takes 2 hrs to install. Is there anything on install that can get really messed up if shop has never done one before? Anyway, thanks for all input!!
    And what is the warranty - is it miller or toyota warranty? Thx so much!

20. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Another one in Indiana.