1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Needing advice: dash MFD issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Actionsportsaz, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Actionsportsaz

Actionsportsaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Vehicle info:
    2005 Prius, 300k + miles, display shows 12.2 volts at rest, 14.5 running.
    Car runs, just bought it a few weeks ago.
    No major issues except the gauge cluster.
    Was working fine (or so I thought) at purchase.
    Then I notice none of the lights on the right side of the dash come on. Think "thats odd".
    Couple days ago the rest of the gauges go out. Car still runs fine, operates normally.
    I check the interwebs, find diagnostic mode, learn about the common issues and need for replacing the 100uF cap on the PCB.
    Diagnostic mode shows no issues.
    Disassemble the dash. Find someone has already added a 220uF cap to the board AND taped over the right side display gauges (idiot lights) except the Triangle ! and the check engine light.
    I replaced the cap (twice) and get the following issues:
    Completely dead display - no change from before.
    ABS light stays on - even with power off - I have to disconnect the battery for it to turn off.
    Car starts normally. When running the ABS light turns off, but then the VSC light comes on.
    tried doing the "start up from diagnostic mode" trick. tried unplugging 12v battery.

So someone knew about an issue, and taped over the lights to make it go away.
    Also the display is totally dead now, but I did get the left blinker to come on for a few seconds.

Ideas? Suggestions?

2. Actionsportsaz

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So, further investigations show that the cluster is from the later Gen 2 Prius.
    Would that be a problem?

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A later cluster model should be fine, and would allow the ODO to read past 299k.

You might consider Prius Speedometer Replacement - and lifetime warranty.

The diagnostic mode is useless for the issues you are having, you need an OBD2 device to scan the ECUs for DTCs. Many here use a mini-vci cable and Techstream, or a OBD2 bluetooth adapter and an app.

Not all OBD2 devices are toyota hybrid compatible, and many parts stores will offer free DTCs scans that may or not be useful.

4. Actionsportsaz

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes, I was looking at a replacement cluster from Ebay. I'll download techstream and see if one of my obdii usb cables works (got three of them - never buy BMWs- you get the idea). I'm betting its just something in the cluster that has failed, and not the standard failure of that one capacitor.
    Also looking to replace the cracked up vents. $125 should get me all four, mine are all broken and rattling.

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can use the 2006 - 2009 CM (combination meter), but you also need to change the Light Cluster to the same 2006 - 2009 vintage. You need to make one minor mod to the light cluster and that is you need to remove (unsolder) the TPMS LED from the light cluster. Otherwise, it is plain sailing. And like SFO said, the newer vintage CM will allow the ODO to keep going past 299,999 miles.

6. Priuslover09

Priuslover09 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I think lights need to be replaced!

7. Actionsportsaz

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ok. So I replaced the Combo meter with a entire working gauge unit (salvaged, from a 05). I also got a cable and Techstream installed on a Macbook running Ubuntu with Virtualbox running winXP (yes that sucked making it work - but we all need a challenge).
    Techstream found no trouble codes. I searched each ecu for anything that would explain the following problems:

The combo meter is not lighting up at all, but I do get the check engine and security system lights during power on test. The hazzard flashers do work, but turn signals do not.
    The drivers power window will not operate. The other 3 windows do work.
    Techstream says the fuel was empty, even though I know the car has at least half a tank.

I think I have a blown fuse, but I checked them all with a ohm meter and they all toned out previous to the cluster change out.
    So I am going to pull each fuse under the dash again and check them, but if that isn't it them where should I look next?