1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Needs opinion-Hybrid System Malfunction- Prius V 2016

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Garry20-20, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Garry20-20

Garry20-20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Luxury
    Hi to all,

I am new to this interesting forum regarding Prius Hybrid technology.

I have 2016 Prius V (150260 kms) that I was about to park at the mall but than it displayed message "Hybrid system malfunction"-Park your vehicle at the safe place. There was "death triangle" and "engine light" on.

I was bit confused and worried by this message as this is my first hybrid vehicle.

I decided to go home (about 6 kms ) so that I could park it in my parking lot and check. I drove slowly at about 55Km/hr.

At home, I opened the hood, and checked that the Engine coolant reservoir was between F and L level but Inverter coolant reservoir was empty. I tried to find the source of leak if any. I found the pinkish fluid on the upper left corner of the radiator. I also noticed that one of the horn was pressed against the radiator at that corner. (pictures attached)

I tried to recall any damage while driving in recent days but I couldn't (I am the only driver of this car). After recalling hard, I remember,about 4-5 days back, I heard a sound familiar to "windshield chip injury", while driving on the highway, few days back.

But I could not find any such damage on the windshield.

Now I am thinking
    -whether that was the sound of the stone/foreign object damage to my radiator ?
    - or the sound of blown fuse from the hood ?

Since this problem occurred, I am following different post online and specially this blog and getting a lot of important information.

I came to know that the engine coolant system and inverter coolant system are independent of each other including their radiators and pumps.

I was thinking about the inverter coolant pump issue too. So I bought the Toyota inverter coolant from the Toyota dealership, filled the inverter coolant reservoir and tried to start my car in "ready" mode.
    I could not find any turbulence/movement of the coolant in the reservoir. It (coolant level) remained at the same level where I left a night before. I tried the same procedure next day to check the inverter coolant pump working but there was still no visible turbulence of the coolant.

At this point, I did not check the codes yet as I have no OBD2 reader.

Now I am thinking:-

Damage to the inverter radiator is obvious in the picture but:-

1) whether the inverter cooling pump got fried (when I drove my car home) and is not working?
    (Is there any other way to rule out inverter pump? Any fuse for the pump??)

2) Inverter is working or not?? (Is there any relation between the starting of the car and the good health of the inverter ??)

3) Can I drive my car to the dealer (about 10 kms) for diagnosis (risk to overheat the inverter?)

Am I missing somethings ? Your opinion is highly appreciated.

Thanks P_20200427_105413.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Garry20-20

Garry20-20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Luxury
    I am wondering if my thread is posted for the opinion.

3. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I agree, your Inverter cooling radiator is compromised. You could check to see if its a slow leak by taking your Prius on a 1km drive before the longer 10km drive.
    You really have to look closely for a sign of turbulence in the reservoir, you can also check to see if the fluid level rises when you temporarily pinch the output hose. (pump would be filling the reservoir rather than circulating the fluid)

Inverter radiators are reasonable on eBay if you were tempted to do it yourself: prius inverter radiator | eBay

#3 IMkenNY, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  4. Garry20-20

Garry20-20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Luxury
    Thank you IMKenNY for your opinion.

But at the same time I was wondering, why the coolant level of inverter reservoir did not go down when I started the car ??

Is there any other problem also?

5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That must have been a hell of a whack to the horn. No damage to the grill in front of it?

6. Garry20-20

Garry20-20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Luxury
    Thanks Air Boss for replying.

Yeah, Horn is kind of embedded in the inverter radiator part with the pinkish stain. I tried to straighten it but its tough. What an impact..

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would not risk driving it because the inverter itself is at risk and that's easily $2,000 or more. At the moment you have a radiator leak so that part has to be replaced. Codes might tell you more. Odds are good that the inverter is still good if it is still driving but don't chance it for a $100 tow job (often free with some car insurance).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There is no visible damage to the radiator grill?

9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yikes! I wonder what hit it.

Chances are that the inverter pump burned out from running dry. I think the fuse is the 10A IGCT 3 if the v is like the other Gen 3.

The car will start with a dry inverter, but not a bad inverter. And it won't run long before it cuts power way back to protect the inverter.

Possibly since it's so close, if you keep the speed way down. But I don't think it's worth the risk considering how much it would cost if you killed the inverter in the attempt. I would not do it.

I wonder, since the warranty isn't likely to cover this, if your insurance will. It won't be cheap if you put in a new radiator. But if you're handy and can DIY, used parts can save you a bundle, although I get a new pump.

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    An inexpensive wireless OBD transmitter and a $5 phone app is all most folks need. The Dr. Prius app has suggestions for readers that work with it.

In my experience when my inverter pump went out, yes. Just keep speeds reasonably and drive with care but avoid EV as much as you can (yes it's a hybrid so that's not so easy). No worries about weather this time of year up there in Canada being too hot, eh.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It sounds like so far you've dodged the bullet, but this is one time you maybe should start heeding what the car tells you. I would spring for a tow, have the dealership replace the inverter radiator, refill the system.

12. Garry20-20

Garry20-20 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Luxury
    Hello to all,

Thank you everybody for your help in troubleshooting the issue and kind suggestions.

My car is working now (No engine light and death triangle).

Problem:- It was the leaked inverter radiator located behind the horn (the horn was embedded in the radiator- do not know how it happened ? )

I checked the warranty booklet that read- coverage of Hybrid system if under 96 months/160000 kms. Mine was at around 150 thousand kms.

I eventually towed it to my dealership (from where I bought it ). They checked the Hybrid system- and diagnosed the inverter radiator coolant leak (ruled out any inverter pump of the inverter itself).

Why I decided to stick with the dealership:- because of my valid inverter coverage.
    Tried to get used Inverter radiator:- I called the salvage parts shop in my area but could not find the part. The nearest was in BC.

Now, the next step is to put a steel wire mesh in front of the radiator, to save if from any stone damage in the future.

Interesting Point - I asked one of the local mechanic regarding diagnosing the functionality of the inverter coolant pump (in READY position- looking for the coolant turbulence in the reservoir), he told me that, in Gen 4 Prius, the pump dose not work continuously (during P mode). There is time when the engine is running active and the hybrid system is passive and vice versa.
    So there is a chance to diagnose pump failure when the hybrid system is quiet.

What are your views regarding interesting point?

Thank you again

13. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Good to hear