1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Negative Prius review in 2009 buyers guide

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Nov 13, 2008.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was browsing through a 2009 'Ultimate Car Buyers Guide' from the editors of Automobile magazine at Borders Books tonight, of course going straight to the Prius review.

It had a full page review of the Prius with a large pic of a Silver Pine Mica, that was kinda negative. They called the 1.5 liter engine 'feeble', warned that if going up and down hills, the battery can get drained thus making the 'puny' engine do all the work up the next hill. And said the weight of the car is relatively heavy.

Anyone found the claim of the battery getting drained going up and down hills to be true?

I haven't seen that yet although I'm still pretty new at it.

Don't mean to stir up poop, but geez this review seemed biased. I like (and trust) Consumer Reports much more.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yep... in really long uphill grades.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah.. if your hill is the Rocky Mountains at their steepest grades... I've never drained the battery going up the side of a mountain. If any I'll drop from 6 bars to 5 bars and depends on your speed. I've gone up a mountain at 100km/h and dropped to 4 bars but that was because I was doing 100km/h up the mountain.

4. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    never drained completely but i was down to about 2bars...going from LA to LV via the 15North fwy at about 75mph
    5 people in the car, AC on @ 73, trunk full of luggage, and practically a full tank of 87 octane gas

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never had an issue but things are different here I'm told.

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Cycledrum,

Sure it can happen. But you know people do not stick their hands into blenders either ;-).

With the Prius there is some education needed. On tha dash board there is this thing called the MFD. When your climbing the long grade look to see if you have continuous yellow arrows. If so, slow down until they go out. If the grade remains the same, you should make it to the top of the hill with the same battery SOC as you started.

7. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've only made one trip into the mountains with my Prius. Just a small climb from 5200 to about 8800 or so. Got to the top after a pretty much continuous climb with 2 bars left. By the time I got down to the plains, however, the battery got to all bars filled (first and only time so far). And while specs wise the engine is wimpy, the CVT allows a much faster pickup from 0-30 than a lot of cars and much faster than my S-10 Blazer- I admit I've tried it a few times!

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The quoted reference didn't say mountains, it said up and down HILLS. So the answer is the reviewer is full of BS. I drive from Burlington, VT to Northampton, MA on I-89 and I-91 once a week. There is barely a flat section anywhere, it is ALL up and down hills, cruise control all the way. My battery bars are ALWAYS 6 blue to 7 green, except on the steep downhill where it can go to 8 green. There are sections where it will run on electric only, even at 65 when the hill is just the right slope. And sometimes it will be in 'glide' (no arrows either direction) all by itself for 10 to 20 seconds. The car is clearly 'smarter' than the reviewer.

Can you drain it going up to Angel Pass in Colorado? I am sure you can, that is one long up hill. But even then the car won't damage the big battery, it will just stop using it.

9. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, you ARE upside down and counter-clockwise.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I drain the battery down to purple every time I drive to Santa Fe or Los Alamos at a couple of long inclines here in New Mexico. Doesn't bother me or the car one bit, although I do drive in the rightmost highway lane, and have no illusions about passing other cars.

OTOH, I average 55 - 60 mpg on those trips. Pick your trade-off.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Crazy Aussies. They wander around in bathing suits in the winter.

12. Wa1hog

Wa1hog Old Blind Hippie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I drive, on a daily basis, 60 miles from NH to MASS> I start at 1260 feet ASL down to 200 feet elevation. I go back up at the end of the day. Never had any issues with the battery draining.

What I do like is that I get about 20 minutes of gas free motion daily travling down the hills.

13. bushface

bushface Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I live in the mountains of western North Carolina. We have no flat roads just up and down with curves. My car is hardly ever below 6 bars except going up Coxes Creek Road which has upto a 14% grade, most of the grade is at least 10% for about 2.8 miles, which it normally has at least 4 bars with me passing most traffic. No problem with get up and go all the way up.

Bunch of BULL in that article.

14. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Beware of negative reviews of a hybrid. There is a huge status quo industry out there related to gasoline and gas-powered vehicles. A lot of the reviewers are supported by the car and gasoline industry. And there is a glut of unsold dinosaurs the car companies are stuck with.

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This has been my experience too. On one pass, just shy of 12,000 feet, I was down to one purple bar and stuck behind a nearly stationary truck. When the passing lane cleared I went around him. I had the pedal smashed to the floor with a screaming engine and no perceptible acceleration. I stayed with it and we slowly gained speed. The faster we went, the faster it seemed to accelerate. You aren't going to snap your neck from acceleration, but it will get you up and over any mountain pass, and get 55 mpg in the bargain.

Tom

16. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only time I have gotten crap mileage and had the ICE do all the work was going up the Tejon Pass with 4 people and full luggage.

The Tejon Pass is a mountain pass at the southwest end of the Tehachapi Mountains linking Southern to Central California. It traverses the boundary between Los Angeles and Kern counties. Its highest point at 4,160 feet (1,260 m).

17. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    On many occasions I've been full of people going up long 10+ mile 7% grades at high speed 80-90mph. It gets down to 2 bars (even 1 bar) but it still holds the speed. I don't see any noticeable difference going up the grade when the battery is drained.... at least at high speeds. The CVT does a great job at maintaining speed.

18. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have done that trip too, on our twice-a-year trips to Ashland, in Southern Oregon for the Shakespeare festival there. The only difference is that we are normally only two people aboard, plus luggage for a week or so stay in Oregon. Never had any problem with the Grapevine transit over the Tehachapis or in the northern reaches of the I-5 in California, where there are a number of fairly long grades, though usually never more than around 6% or so.

Your experience with the Prius in this respect will always be a function of the load being carried, the climb distance and gradient and the speed at which you climb. The lower your speed when climbing the less total energy you are consuming, but the fraction used in fighting gravity remains constant. That is until you reach the top of the hill. The Prius gets a big chunk of it back via regeneration as you descend.

19. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I get down to 1 or 2 bars traveling between hope and Coquihalla summit and again on the 97C highway between Merritt and Kelowna. It's no big deal. It's never like your on a one lane highway on grades like that. I drive slow only because i don't like to waste gas on the inclines. Given time the engine can accelerate up these hills.

20. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Negative reviews of the prius are less common now, but there have been dozens of them over the years. It's mostly just the status quo seekers trying stay alive in a world soon to be dominated by ev's (hevs, phevs and bevs).