1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Negotiating a deal

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by damack1, Apr 24, 2009.

1. damack1

damack1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've pretty well decided to buy a 2010, and I'm getting the impression that there's not a lot of wiggle room where price negotiation is concerned. Sounds like I'll be lucky to get a few hundred off MSRP, if I buy soon after the cars arrive at the dealership while they're in high demand. Since my Subaru is on its last legs (tires?), I guess I'll have to buy in the first wave, instead of waiting a bit hoping the price will come down.

That being said, are there things I can negotiate for to sweeten the deal? I'm thinking of things like floor mats...things that the dealer will want to add on for an extra few hundred here and there. Is there any chance of getting any of these kinds of things added in without cost?

Any advice from you Prius experts would be appreciated.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I know that there will more cars on the lots this time compared to 2004. Back then, I was 74th on the list when I reserved mine. It was common knowledge that if I didn't want the car at the price they quoted, there were dozens of people who did.

My opinion is that you can request the moon and the stars. Ask for anything you want. Make demands for everything you desire. Then be absolutely astonished if they give you anything. Sorry man but this is going to be a hot car.

3. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The first cars to be bought will be those who will make an emotional purchase ("I got to have the latest and greatest syndrome) - and the dealers' know it. If you want a good deal, wait a couple of months until the initial feeding frenzy is over.

Keith

4. lauren80ryan

lauren80ryan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm in the same boat!! My current 95 Honda has no A/C so I NEED to get new prius soon, as we've already had one wave of 90 degrees here! I can't wait till July/August because I told myself last year as I suffered through, "just one more year lauren. next year will be heaven. just wait."

And I'm afraid my dealer knows it.:p As I was calling him when pricing was released on here to make appt to be put on wait list and he was like, "pricing is out?" LOL

I am okay paying MSRP cause I figure, like people have said on here, it's thousands less than the previous new prius frenzies! And it's same price as current 09 so I'll take it!!
    I might try to get them to pay for the floor mats, though.:D Cause $200 for mats?!? :eek: You can keep em.

5. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am also paying list price but at least the dealer asked me If I wanted floor mats. Of course I said no thanks. :D FRED

6. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Paying MSRP is not the worst thing in the world if you need a car right away. If you have a good running car then paying MSRP would be foolish. I don't think the demand will be as high as some people think. This country is near the great depression numbers as far as unemployment goes and it is not going to get any better the next few months. It's not the priority of most people to buy a new car when they are jobless or could be jobless tomorrow.

7. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Personally, I think paying MSRP is a good enough deal. When I bought my 2005 Prius, they had dealer mark ups $3-4k OVER MSRP. Here in WA, I'm factoring other things into my purchase, like the sales tax holiday for hybrids purchased during this calendar year. That will save a few grand. I do plan on dickering mightily on my trade-in value.

8. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This recession is nowhere near the great depression. It isn't even as bad as the 73-74 or 80-82 recessions. Chill out people and stop believing the talking heads on the news!

The US unemployment rate today is ~ 8.5%. The unemployment rate was 5% before this whole thing started so the reality is that during this recession 3% to 4% of US workers lost their jobs. The unemployment rate was 25% during the great depression.

Most people are still employed and credit is still really cheap. People will buy cars again because sooner or later people will have to replace their cars.

BTW, this is from someone that lost his job in October.

3 people like this.
  9. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know, if you can live without the Moon Roof and Advanced Tech package, look into the 2009's. Those should have a good markdown when the 2010's roll on the lot!

A Pkg 5 or 6 should be had at a great deal.

Something to think about.

10. Tweev

Tweev New Member

It is true that we are hardly in a depression. What we are in can be called an extended contraction which is starting to be called the 'great recession'.

You are incorrect, this now the longest recession (now at 17months) since the end of WW2. The 73 and 81 recession were both 16 months. Also, we have another year or so to go.

On top of that, once this recession is over, don't expect growth to return to what it has been over the last decade. Expect positive growth in the 1 - 2% range for the next decade. Not a recession, but pretty close! A great recession indeed.:mod:

My two bits.